AffiliationDepartment of Medical Oncology, Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester M20 4BX, UK ; School of Cancer and Imaging Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe development of personalised therapy and mechanism-targeted agents in oncology mandates the identification of the patient populations most likely to benefit from therapy. This paper discusses the increasing evidence as to the heterogeneity of the group of diseases called colorectal cancer. Differences in the aetiology and epidemiology of proximal and distal cancers are reflected in different clinical behaviour, histopathology, and molecular characteristics of these tumours. This may impact response both to standard cytotoxic therapies and mechanism-targeted agents. This disease heterogeneity leads to challenges in the design of clinical trials to assess novel therapies in the treatment of "colorectal cancer."
CitationHow many diseases are colorectal cancer? 2012, 2012:564741 Gastroenterol Res Pract
JournalGastroenterology Research and Practice
- Interventions for the treatment of oral and oropharyngeal cancers: targeted therapy and immunotherapy.
- Authors: Chan KK, Glenny AM, Weldon JC, Furness S, Worthington HV, Wakeford H
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1
- Epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) inhibitors for metastatic colorectal cancer.
- Authors: Chan DLH, Segelov E, Wong RS, Smith A, Herbertson RA, Li BT, Tebbutt N, Price T, Pavlakis N
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 27
- KRAS Testing for Anti-EGFR Therapy in Advanced Colorectal Cancer: An Evidence-Based and Economic Analysis.
- Authors: Medical Advisory Secretariat.
- Issue date: 2010
- Unravelling the pharmacologic opportunities and future directions for targeted therapies in gastro-intestinal cancers part 2: Neuroendocrine tumours, hepatocellular carcinoma, and gastro-intestinal stromal tumours.
- Authors: Neuzillet C, de Mestier L, Rousseau B, Mir O, Hebbar M, Kocher HM, Ruszniewski P, Tournigand C
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Colorectal cancer heterogeneity and targeted therapy: Clinical implications, challenges and solutions for treatment resistance.
- Authors: Zhai Z, Yu X, Yang B, Zhang Y, Zhang L, Li X, Sun H
- Issue date: 2017 Apr