Ultrastructurally Confirmed Myofibrosarcoma: A Series of 10 New Cases, With a Discussion on Diagnostic Criteria.
Eyden, Brian P
Banerjee, Saumitra S
Shanks, Jonathan H
Sikand, Kanwal A
Menasce, Lia P
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSome view ultrastructure as key to myofibrosarcoma diagnosis, whereas others argue that electron microscopy is too little used in contemporary practice to be considered an important diagnostic tool. These views are discussed in the context of 10 ultrastructurally confirmed cases of myofibrosarcoma, some occurring at rare sites such as skin and penis. Patient age ranged from 21 to 83 years, with a 6:4 male to female ratio. Size ranged from 2 to 7.5 cm and all had infiltrative margins. Histologically, all consisted of variably cellular fascicles of spindle cells with mild to moderately pleomorphic nuclei, small punctate nucleoli, and eosinophilic cytoplasm. All cases showed α-smooth muscle actin positivity and 2 showed very focal weak positivity for desmin. Ultrastructurally, the tumor cells contained rough endoplasmic reticulum, mainly peripheral smooth-muscle myofilaments, and fibronectin fibrils or fibronexus junctions at the cell surface. The most confident diagnosis of myofibrosarcoma is provided by ultrastructural examination. However, given the right histological appearance, use of a panel of antibodies that includes α-smooth muscle actin, desmin, and h-caldesmon, serves as an acceptable practical way of diagnosing myofibrosarcoma.
CitationUltrastructurally Confirmed Myofibrosarcoma: A Series of 10 New Cases, With a Discussion on Diagnostic Criteria. 2012:Int J Surg Pathol
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Mammary myofibrosarcoma: case report and literature review.
- Authors: Stark M, Hoffmann A, Xiong Z
- Issue date: 2011 May-Jun
- Fibronexus in low-grade myofibrosarcoma: a case report.
- Authors: Watanabe K, Tanaka M, Takashi K, Yamada H, Tajino T
- Issue date: 2008 May-Jun
- Fibronexus in "malignant fibrous histiocytoma" of the bone: a case report of pleomorphic myofibrosarcoma.
- Authors: Watanabe K, Ogura G
- Issue date: 2002 Jan-Feb
- Low-grade myofibroblastic sarcoma: analysis of 18 cases in the spectrum of myofibroblastic tumors.
- Authors: Mentzel T, Dry S, Katenkamp D, Fletcher CD
- Issue date: 1998 Oct
- The myofibroblast: an assessment of controversial issues and a definition useful in diagnosis and research.
- Authors: Eyden B
- Issue date: 2001 Jan-Feb