Atl1 regulates choice between global genome and transcription-coupled repair of O(6)-alkylguanines.
AuthorsLatypov, Vitaly F
Tubbs, J L
Watson, Amanda J
Marriott, Andrew S
Thorncroft, Mary R
Wilkinson, O J
Arvai, A S
Millington, C L
Povey, A C
Williams, D M
Santibanez-Koref, Mauro F
Tainer, J A
Margison, Geoffrey P
AffiliationCancer Research UK Carcinogenesis Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractNucleotide excision repair (NER) has long been known to remove DNA lesions induced by chemical carcinogens, and the molecular mechanism has been partially elucidated. Here we demonstrate that in Schizosaccharomyces pombe a DNA recognition protein, alkyltransferase-like 1 (Atl1), can play a pivotal role in selecting a specific NER pathway, depending on the nature of the DNA modification. The relative ease of dissociation of Atl1 from DNA containing small O(6)-alkylguanines allows accurate completion of global genome repair (GGR), whereas strong Atl1 binding to bulky O(6)-alkylguanines blocks GGR, stalls the transcription machinery, and diverts the damage to transcription-coupled repair. Our findings redraw the initial stages of the NER process in those organisms that express an alkyltransferase-like gene and raise the question of whether or not O(6)-alkylguanine lesions that are poor substrates for the alkyltransferase proteins in higher eukaryotes might, by analogy, signal such lesions for repair by NER.
CitationAtl1 regulates choice between global genome and transcription-coupled repair of O(6)-alkylguanines. 2012, 47 (1):50-60 Mol Cell
- Alkyltransferase-like protein (Atl1) distinguishes alkylated guanines for DNA repair using cation-π interactions.
- Authors: Wilkinson OJ, Latypov V, Tubbs JL, Millington CL, Morita R, Blackburn H, Marriott A, McGown G, Thorncroft M, Watson AJ, Connolly BA, Grasby JA, Masui R, Hunter CA, Tainer JA, Margison GP, Williams DM
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 13
- A novel DNA damage recognition protein in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Pearson SJ, Wharton S, Watson AJ, Begum G, Butt A, Glynn N, Williams DM, Shibata T, Santibáñez-Koref MF, Margison GP
- Issue date: 2006
- Synthesis of oligodeoxyribonucleotides containing a conformationally-locked anti analogue of O6-methyl-2'-deoxyguanosine and their recognition by MGMT and Atl1.
- Authors: Abdu K, Aiertza MK, Wilkinson OJ, Grasby JA, Senthong P, Povey AC, Margison GP, Williams DM
- Issue date: 2012 Nov 25
- Role of alkyltransferase-like (ATL) protein in repair of methylated DNA lesions in Thermus thermophilus.
- Authors: Onodera T, Morino K, Tokishita S, Morita R, Masui R, Kuramitsu S, Ohta T
- Issue date: 2011 Mar
- Alkyltransferase-like proteins.
- Authors: Margison GP, Butt A, Pearson SJ, Wharton S, Watson AJ, Marriott A, Caetano CM, Hollins JJ, Rukazenkova N, Begum G, Santibáñez-Koref MF
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 1