The S. pombe cytokinesis NDR kinase Sid2 activates Fin1 NIMA kinase to control mitotic commitment through Pom1/Wee1.
AffiliationCRUK Cell Division Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMitotic exit integrates the reversal of the phosphorylation events initiated by mitotic kinases with a controlled cytokinesis event that cleaves the cell in two. The mitotic exit network (MEN) of budding yeast regulates both processes, whereas the fission yeast equivalent, the septum initiation network (SIN), controls only the execution of cytokinesis. The components and architecture of the SIN and MEN are highly conserved. At present, it is assumed that the functions of the core SIN-MEN components are restricted to their characterized roles at the end of mitosis. We now show that the NDR (nuclear Dbf2-related) kinase component of the fission yeast SIN, Sid2-Mob1, acts independently of the other known SIN components in G2 phase of the cell cycle to control the timing of mitotic commitment. Sid2-Mob1 promotes mitotic commitment by directly activating the NIMA (Never In Mitosis)-related kinase Fin1. Fin1's activation promotes its own destruction, thereby making Fin1 activation a transient feature of G2 phase. This spike of Fin1 activation modulates the activity of the Pom1/Cdr1/Cdr2 geometry network towards Wee1.
CitationThe S. pombe cytokinesis NDR kinase Sid2 activates Fin1 NIMA kinase to control mitotic commitment through Pom1/Wee1. 2012, 14 (7):738-45 Nat Cell Biol
JournalNature Cell Biology
- Fission yeast nucleolar protein Dnt1 regulates G2/M transition and cytokinesis by downregulating Wee1 kinase.
- Authors: Yu ZY, Zhang MT, Wang GY, Xu D, Keifenheim D, Franco A, Cansado J, Masuda H, Rhind N, Wang Y, Jin QW
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- Molecular control of the Wee1 regulatory pathway by the SAD kinase Cdr2.
- Authors: Guzmán-Vendrell M, Rincon SA, Dingli F, Loew D, Paoletti A
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 1
- The SIN kinase Sid2 regulates cytoplasmic retention of the S. pombe Cdc14-like phosphatase Clp1.
- Authors: Chen CT, Feoktistova A, Chen JS, Shim YS, Clifford DM, Gould KL, McCollum D
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 28
- Polar gradients of the DYRK-family kinase Pom1 couple cell length with the cell cycle.
- Authors: Martin SG, Berthelot-Grosjean M
- Issue date: 2009 Jun 11
- Fission yeast Clp1p phosphatase regulates G2/M transition and coordination of cytokinesis with cell cycle progression.
- Authors: Trautmann S, Wolfe BA, Jorgensen P, Tyers M, Gould KL, McCollum D
- Issue date: 2001 Jun 26