CAR-T cells and solid tumors: tuning T cells to challenge an inveterate foe.
AffiliationClinical and Experimental Immunotherapy Group, School of Cancer and Enabling Sciences, The University of Manchester, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRecent reports on the impressive efficacy of adoptively transferred T cells to challenge cancer in early phase clinical trials have significantly raised the profile of T cell therapy. Concomitantly, general expectations are also raised by these reports, with the natural aspiration to deliver this therapy over a wide range of tumor indications. Chimeric antigen receptors (CARs) endow T cell populations with defined antigen specificities that function independently of the natural T cell receptor and permit targeting of T cells towards virtually any tumor. Here, we review the current clinical application of CAR-T cells and relate clinical efficacy and safety of CAR-T cell trials to parameters considered critical for CAR engineering, classified as the three T's of CAR-T cell manipulation.
CitationCAR-T cells and solid tumors: tuning T cells to challenge an inveterate foe. 2012, 18 (7):377-84 Trends Mol Med
JournalTrends in Molecular Medicine
- Efficacy of CAR T-cell therapy in large tumors relies upon stromal targeting by IFNγ.
- Authors: Textor A, Listopad JJ, Wührmann LL, Perez C, Kruschinski A, Chmielewski M, Abken H, Blankenstein T, Charo J
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 1
- Adoptive therapy with CAR redirected T cells: the challenges in targeting solid tumors.
- Authors: Abken H
- Issue date: 2015
- Hurdles of CAR-T cell-based cancer immunotherapy directed against solid tumors.
- Authors: Zhang BL, Qin DY, Mo ZM, Li Y, Wei W, Wang YS, Wang W, Wei YQ
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Targeted immunotherapy of cancer with CAR T cells: achievements and challenges.
- Authors: Lipowska-Bhalla G, Gilham DE, Hawkins RE, Rothwell DG
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- The weal and woe of costimulation in the adoptive therapy of cancer with chimeric antigen receptor (CAR)-redirected T cells.
- Authors: Hombach AA, Holzinger A, Abken H
- Issue date: 2013 Aug