Brentuximab Vedotin (SGN-35) in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Systemic Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma: Results of a Phase II Study.
Illidge, Timothy M
AffiliationFox Chase Cancer Center, 333 Cottman Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19111-2497;
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE Systemic anaplastic large-cell lymphoma (ALCL) is an aggressive subtype of T-cell lymphoma characterized by the uniform expression of CD30. The antibody-drug conjugate brentuximab vedotin delivers the potent antimicrotubule agent monomethylauristatin E to CD30-positive malignant cells. A phase II multicenter trial was conducted to evaluate the efficacy and safety of brentuximab vedotin in patients with relapsed or refractory systemic ALCL. PATIENTS AND METHODS Patients with systemic ALCL and recurrent disease after at least one prior therapy received brentuximab vedotin 1.8 mg/kg intravenously every 3 weeks over 30 minutes as an outpatient infusion. The primary end point of the study was overall objective response rate as assessed by independent central review. Results Of 58 patients treated in the study, 50 patients (86%) achieved an objective response, 33 patients (57%) achieved a complete remission (CR), and 17 patients (29%) achieved a partial remission. The median durations of overall response and CR were 12.6 and 13.2 months, respectively. Grade 3 or 4 adverse events in ≥ 10% of patients were neutropenia (21%), thrombocytopenia (14%), and peripheral sensory neuropathy (12%). CONCLUSION Brentuximab vedotin induced objective responses in the majority of patients and CRs in more than half of patients with recurrent systemic ALCL. Targeted therapy with this CD30-directed antibody-drug conjugate may be an effective treatment for relapsed or refractory systemic ALCL and warrants further studies in front-line therapy.
CitationBrentuximab Vedotin (SGN-35) in Patients With Relapsed or Refractory Systemic Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma: Results of a Phase II Study. 2012, 30 (18):2190-6 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- The European Medicines Agency Review of Brentuximab Vedotin (Adcetris) for the Treatment of Adult Patients With Relapsed or Refractory CD30+ Hodgkin Lymphoma or Systemic Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma: Summary of the Scientific Assessment of the Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use.
- Authors: Gravanis I, Tzogani K, van Hennik P, de Graeff P, Schmitt P, Mueller-Berghaus J, Salmonson T, Gisselbrecht C, Laane E, Bergmann L, Pignatti F
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Retreatment with brentuximab vedotin in patients with CD30-positive hematologic malignancies.
- Authors: Bartlett NL, Chen R, Fanale MA, Brice P, Gopal A, Smith SE, Advani R, Matous JV, Ramchandren R, Rosenblatt JD, Huebner D, Levine P, Grove L, Forero-Torres A
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 19
- Brentuximab vedotin in anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Skarbnik AP, Smith MR
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Phase I / II study of brentuximab vedotin in Japanese patients with relapsed or refractory CD30-positive Hodgkin's lymphoma or systemic anaplastic large-cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Ogura M, Tobinai K, Hatake K, Ishizawa K, Uike N, Uchida T, Suzuki T, Aoki T, Watanabe T, Maruyama D, Yokoyama M, Takubo T, Kagehara H, Matsushima T
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Brentuximab vedotin (SGN-35) for relapsed CD30-positive lymphomas.
- Authors: Younes A, Bartlett NL, Leonard JP, Kennedy DA, Lynch CM, Sievers EL, Forero-Torres A
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 4