The role of positron emission tomography in management of small cell lung cancer.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAccurate radiological staging of small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) is of paramount importance in selection of individual patients with limited stage disease for potentially curative treatment while avoiding toxic treatment in those with distant metastatic disease. [(18)F] flurodeoxy-D-glucose (FDG) positron emission tomography (PET) is an attractive tool for this purpose but there is limited evidence to support its use in the routine staging of SCLC. Whether therapeutic decisions based on FDG-PET imaging should be made remains uncertain. There is only preliminary evidence for use of FDG-PET as a prognostic biomarker, in the assessment of response to treatment and delineation of disease in conformal radiation planning.
CitationThe role of positron emission tomography in management of small cell lung cancer. 2011, 73 (2):121-6 Lung Cancer
- Utility of Molecular Imaging with 2-Deoxy-2-[Fluorine-18] Fluoro-DGlucose Positron Emission Tomography (18F-FDG PET) for Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC): A Radiation Oncology Perspective.
- Authors: Sager O, Dincoglan F, Demiral S, Uysal B, Gamsiz H, Elcim Y, Gundem E, Dirican B, Beyzadeoglu M
- Issue date: 2019
- Evaluation of outcome prediction and disease extension by quantitative 2-deoxy-2-[18F] fluoro-D-glucose with positron emission tomography in patients with small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Arslan N, Tuncel M, Kuzhan O, Alagoz E, Budakoglu B, Ozet A, Ozguven MA
- Issue date: 2011 Jul
- Therapy response evaluation with FDG-PET/CT in small cell lung cancer: a prognostic and comparison study of the PERCIST and EORTC criteria.
- Authors: Ziai D, Wagner T, El Badaoui A, Hitzel A, Woillard JB, Melloni B, Monteil J
- Issue date: 2013 Mar 5
- High tumor metabolic activity as measured by fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography is associated with poor prognosis in limited and extensive stage small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Lee YJ, Cho A, Cho BC, Yun M, Kim SK, Chang J, Moon JW, Park IK, Choi HJ, Kim JH
- Issue date: 2009 Apr 1
- Positron emission tomography in limited-stage small-cell lung cancer: a prospective study.
- Authors: Bradley JD, Dehdashti F, Mintun MA, Govindan R, Trinkaus K, Siegel BA
- Issue date: 2004 Aug 15