Diabetes and cancer (2): evaluating the impact of diabetes on mortality in patients with cancer.
AffiliationSchool of Cancer and Enabling Sciences, Department of Surgery, University of Manchester, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK, firstname.lastname@example.org.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this paper we address methodological aspects of aetiological importance in the link between diabetes and mortality in patients with cancer. We identified nine key points on the cancer pathway at which confounding may arise-cancer screening use, stage at diagnosis, cancer treatment selection, cancer treatment complications and failures, peri-treatment mortality, competing risks for long-term mortality, effects of type 2 diabetes on anti-cancer therapies, effects of glucose-lowering treatments on cancer outcome and differences in tumour biology. Two types of mortality studies were identified: (1) inception cohort studies that evaluate the effect of baseline diabetes on cancer-related mortality in general populations, and (2) cohorts of patients with a cancer diagnosis and pre-existing type 2 diabetes. We demonstrate, with multiple examples from the literature, that pre-existing diabetes affects presentation, cancer treatment, and outcome of several common cancer types, often to varying extents. Diabetes is associated with increased all-cause mortality in cancer patients, but the evidence that it influences cancer-specific mortality is inconsistent. In the absence of data that address the potential biases and confounders outlined in the above framework, we caution against the reporting of cancer-related mortality as a main endpoint in analyses determining the impact of diabetes and glucose-lowering medications on risk of cancer.
CitationDiabetes and cancer (2): evaluating the impact of diabetes on mortality in patients with cancer. 2012, 55 (6):1619-1632 Diabetologia
- Diabetes and cancer (1): evaluating the temporal relationship between type 2 diabetes and cancer incidence.
- Authors: Johnson JA, Carstensen B, Witte D, Bowker SL, Lipscombe L, Renehan AG, Diabetes and Cancer Research Consortium.
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus and medications for type 2 diabetes mellitus are associated with risk for and mortality from cancer in a German primary care cohort.
- Authors: Baur DM, Klotsche J, Hamnvik OP, Sievers C, Pieper L, Wittchen HU, Stalla GK, Schmid RM, Kales SN, Mantzoros CS
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- The epidemiology of diabetes and cancer.
- Authors: Carstensen B, Jørgensen ME, Friis S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Prognostic implications of glucose-lowering treatment in patients with acute myocardial infarction and diabetes: experiences from an extended follow-up of the Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-Glucose Infusion in Acute Myocardial Infarction (DIGAMI) 2 Study.
- Authors: Mellbin LG, Malmberg K, Norhammar A, Wedel H, Rydén L, DIGAMI 2 Investigators.
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Association of Type 2 Diabetes With Cancer: A Meta-analysis With Bias Analysis for Unmeasured Confounding in 151 Cohorts Comprising 32 Million People.
- Authors: Ling S, Brown K, Miksza JK, Howells L, Morrison A, Issa E, Yates T, Khunti K, Davies MJ, Zaccardi F
- Issue date: 2020 Sep