Response of ETV6-FLT3-positive myeloid/lymphoid neoplasm with eosinophilia to inhibitors of FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3.
Cross, N C P
AffiliationPathologisches Institut, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, München, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImatinib-resistant tyrosine kinase (TK) fusions involving FGFR1, JAK2, or FLT3 are rare but recurrent in patients with eosinophilia-associated neoplasms. We report here 2 male patients with ETV6-FLT3(+) myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia who were treated with the multitargeted TK inhibitors sunitinib and sorafenib. Patient 1 achieved rapid complete hematologic response and complete cytogenetic response after 3 months of taking sunitinib. A secondary blast phase caused by clonal evolution was diagnosed after 6 months. He achieved a second complete hematologic response after taking sorafenib but relapsed 2 months later. An N841K point mutation within the TK domain of FLT3, previously reported in acute myeloid leukemia and potentially conferring resistance to sorafenib, was subsequently identified. Patient 2 was heavily pretreated according to the initial diagnosis of T-lymphoblastic lymphoma and died in sunitinib-induced pancytopenia. This report highlights the importance of a careful diagnostic workup for eosinophilia-associated neoplasms to evaluate the possibility of TK inhibitor therapy.
CitationResponse of ETV6-FLT3-positive myeloid/lymphoid neoplasm with eosinophilia to inhibitors of FMS-like tyrosine kinase 3. 2011, 118 (8):2239-42 Blood
- Myeloid/lymphoid neoplasms with eosinophilia and FLT3 rearrangement.
- Authors: Shao H, Wang W, Song J, Tang G, Zhang X, Tang Z, Srivastava J, Shah B, Medeiros LJ, Zhang L
- Issue date: 2020 Dec
- Sensitivity toward sorafenib and sunitinib varies between different activating and drug-resistant FLT3-ITD mutations.
- Authors: Kancha RK, Grundler R, Peschel C, Duyster J
- Issue date: 2007 Oct
- Identification of a secondary FLT3/A848P mutation in a patient with FLT3-ITD-positive blast phase CMML and response to sunitinib and sorafenib.
- Authors: von Bubnoff N, Rummelt C, Menzel H, Sigl M, Peschel C, Duyster J
- Issue date: 2010 Aug
- Partial Response to Sorafenib in a Child With a Myeloid/Lymphoid Neoplasm, Eosinophilia, and a ZMYM2-FLT3 Fusion.
- Authors: Munthe-Kaas MC, Forthun RB, Brendehaug A, Eek AK, Høysæter T, Osnes LTN, Prescott T, Spetalen S, Hovland R
- Issue date: 2021 May 1
- FLT3 kinase inhibitors in the management of acute myeloid leukemia.
- Authors: Illmer T, Ehninger G
- Issue date: 2007 Dec