Waif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/β-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization.
Stern, Peter L
AffiliationBiotechnology Center and Center for Regenerative Therapies, Technische Universität Dresden, Tatzberg 47, 01307 Dresden, Germany.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWnt proteins can activate distinct signaling pathways, but little is known about the mechanisms regulating pathway selection. Here we show that the metastasis-associated transmembrane protein Wnt-activated inhibitory factor 1 (Waif1/5T4) interferes with Wnt/β-catenin signaling and concomitantly activates noncanonical Wnt pathways. Waif1 inhibits β-catenin signaling in zebrafish and Xenopus embryos as well as in mammalian cells, and zebrafish waif1a acts as a direct feedback inhibitor of wnt8-mediated mesoderm and neuroectoderm patterning during zebrafish gastrulation. Waif1a binds to the Wnt coreceptor LRP6 and inhibits Wnt-induced LRP6 internalization into endocytic vesicles, a process that is required for pathway activation. Thus, Waif1a modifies Wnt/β-catenin signaling by regulating LRP6 subcellular localization. In addition, Waif1a enhances β-catenin-independent Wnt signaling in zebrafish embryos and Xenopus explants by promoting a noncanonical function of Dickkopf1. These results suggest that Waif1 modulates pathway selection in Wnt-receiving cells.
CitationWaif1/5T4 inhibits Wnt/β-catenin signaling and activates noncanonical Wnt pathways by modifying LRP6 subcellular localization. 2011, 21 (6):1129-43 Dev Cell
- Lypd6 enhances Wnt/β-catenin signaling by promoting Lrp6 phosphorylation in raft plasma membrane domains.
- Authors: Özhan G, Sezgin E, Wehner D, Pfister AS, Kühl SJ, Kagermeier-Schenk B, Kühl M, Schwille P, Weidinger G
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 26
- PTK7 modulates Wnt signaling activity via LRP6.
- Authors: Bin-Nun N, Lichtig H, Malyarova A, Levy M, Elias S, Frank D
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- Dickkopf-1 regulates gastrulation movements by coordinated modulation of Wnt/beta catenin and Wnt/PCP activities, through interaction with the Dally-like homolog Knypek.
- Authors: Caneparo L, Huang YL, Staudt N, Tada M, Ahrendt R, Kazanskaya O, Niehrs C, Houart C
- Issue date: 2007 Feb 15
- The Sp1-related transcription factors sp5 and sp5-like act downstream of Wnt/beta-catenin signaling in mesoderm and neuroectoderm patterning.
- Authors: Weidinger G, Thorpe CJ, Wuennenberg-Stapleton K, Ngai J, Moon RT
- Issue date: 2005 Mar 29
- Head inducer Dickkopf-1 is a ligand for Wnt coreceptor LRP6.
- Authors: Semënov MV, Tamai K, Brott BK, Kühl M, Sokol S, He X
- Issue date: 2001 Jun 26