Extracellular matrix degradation and remodeling in development and disease.
AffiliationBreakthrough Breast Cancer Research Unit, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research and Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Matrix Research, University of Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe extracellular matrix (ECM) serves diverse functions and is a major component of the cellular microenvironment. The ECM is a highly dynamic structure, constantly undergoing a remodeling process where ECM components are deposited, degraded, or otherwise modified. ECM dynamics are indispensible during restructuring of tissue architecture. ECM remodeling is an important mechanism whereby cell differentiation can be regulated, including processes such as the establishment and maintenance of stem cell niches, branching morphogenesis, angiogenesis, bone remodeling, and wound repair. In contrast, abnormal ECM dynamics lead to deregulated cell proliferation and invasion, failure of cell death, and loss of cell differentiation, resulting in congenital defects and pathological processes including tissue fibrosis and cancer. Understanding the mechanisms of ECM remodeling and its regulation, therefore, is essential for developing new therapeutic interventions for diseases and novel strategies for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
CitationExtracellular matrix degradation and remodeling in development and disease. 2011, 3 (12): Cold Spring Harb Perspect Biol
JournalCold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology
- Extracellular matrix in development: insights from mechanisms conserved between invertebrates and vertebrates.
- Authors: Brown NH
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 1
- Extracellular matrix dynamics in development and regenerative medicine.
- Authors: Daley WP, Peters SB, Larsen M
- Issue date: 2008 Feb 1
- Extracellular Matrix as a Regulator of Epidermal Stem Cell Fate.
- Authors: Chermnykh E, Kalabusheva E, Vorotelyak E
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 27
- Non-collagenous ECM proteins in blood vessel morphogenesis and cancer.
- Authors: Kostourou V, Papalazarou V
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Extracellular matrix networks in bone remodeling.
- Authors: Alford AI, Kozloff KM, Hankenson KD
- Issue date: 2015 Aug