Phase II study of cisplatin and imatinib in advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma.
Mais, Kathleen L
Julyan, Peter J
Hastings, David L
Ward, Timothy H
Ryder, W David J
Homer, Jarrod J
Slevin, Nicholas J
AffiliationGlan Clwyd Hospital, Rhyl, Denbighshire LL18 5UJ, United Kingdom. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPatients with adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands show over-expression of KIT in a high proportion of cases. Options for systemic treatment are limited in locally advanced and metastatic disease. We explored the efficacy of imatinib and cisplatin combined in this group of patients. A Gehan's two-stage, phase II trial was conducted on 28 patients. Those with progressive, locally advanced, and metastatic disease with an over-expression of KIT were treated with single agent imatinib 800 mg daily for two months, followed by a combination of imatinib 400mg daily and cisplatin 80 mg/m(2) at four-weekly intervals for six cycles. This was followed by maintenance single agent imatinib 400mg daily until the disease progressed. Response was monitored using fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) and morphological imaging using computed tomography, magnetic resonance, and chest radiographs (CT/MRI/CXR). Morphological imaging showed partial response in three of 28 patients, and five patients showed a response on FDG-PET. In addition, 19 patients had useful stabilisation of disease. The median time to progression and overall survival was 15 months (range 1-43) and 35 months (range 1-75), respectively. The combination of imatinib and cisplatin was reasonably well tolerated. This combination may provide stabilisation in locally advanced and metastatic adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands.
CitationPhase II study of cisplatin and imatinib in advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma. 2011, 49 (7):510-5 Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg
JournalBritish Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- A phase II study of Imatinib for advanced adenoid cystic carcinoma of head and neck salivary glands.
- Authors: Pfeffer MR, Talmi Y, Catane R, Symon Z, Yosepovitch A, Levitt M
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- Imatinib mesylate in patients with adenoid cystic cancers of the salivary glands expressing c-kit: a Princess Margaret Hospital phase II consortium study.
- Authors: Hotte SJ, Winquist EW, Lamont E, MacKenzie M, Vokes E, Chen EX, Brown S, Pond GR, Murgo A, Siu LL
- Issue date: 2005 Jan 20
- Imatinib mesylate as treatment for adenoid cystic carcinoma of the salivary glands: report of two successfully treated cases.
- Authors: Alcedo JC, Fábrega JM, Arosemena JR, Urrutia A
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Unexpected rapid progression of metastatic adenoid cystic carcinoma during treatment with imatinib mesylate.
- Authors: Lin CH, Yen RF, Jeng YM, Tzen CY, Hsu C, Hong RL
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Epirubicin, cisplatin and protracted venous infusion 5-Fluorouracil chemotherapy for advanced salivary adenoid cystic carcinoma.
- Authors: Ross PJ, Teoh EM, A'hern RP, Rhys-Evans PH, Harrington KJ, Nutting CM, Gore ME
- Issue date: 2009 May