The histone demethylase KDM1A sustains the oncogenic potential of MLL-AF9 leukemia stem cells.
AuthorsHarris, William J
Lynch, James T
Spencer, Gary J
Hitchin, James R
Blaser, Julian G
Greystoke, Brigit F
Jordan, Allan M
Miller, Crispin J
Ogilvie, Donald J
Somervaille, Tim C P
AffiliationCancer Research UK Leukaemia Biology Laboratory, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing a mouse model of human MLL-AF9 leukemia, we identified the lysine-specific demethylase KDM1A (LSD1 or AOF2) as an essential regulator of leukemia stem cell (LSC) potential. KDM1A acts at genomic loci bound by MLL-AF9 to sustain expression of the associated oncogenic program, thus preventing differentiation and apoptosis. In vitro and in vivo pharmacologic targeting of KDM1A using tranylcypromine analogs active in the nanomolar range phenocopied Kdm1a knockdown in both murine and primary human AML cells exhibiting MLL translocations. By contrast, the clonogenic and repopulating potential of normal hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells was spared. Our data establish KDM1A as a key effector of the differentiation block in MLL leukemia, which may be selectively targeted to therapeutic effect.
CitationThe histone demethylase KDM1A sustains the oncogenic potential of MLL-AF9 leukemia stem cells. 2012, 21 (4):473-87 Cancer Cell
- The stem cell factor SALL4 is an essential transcriptional regulator in mixed lineage leukemia-rearranged leukemogenesis.
- Authors: Yang L, Liu L, Gao H, Pinnamaneni JP, Sanagasetti D, Singh VP, Wang K, Mathison M, Zhang Q, Chen F, Mo Q, Rosengart T, Yang J
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 3
- Enhancers of Polycomb EPC1 and EPC2 sustain the oncogenic potential of MLL leukemia stem cells.
- Authors: Huang X, Spencer GJ, Lynch JT, Ciceri F, Somerville TD, Somervaille TC
- Issue date: 2014 May
- Microenvironment determines lineage fate in a human model of MLL-AF9 leukemia.
- Authors: Wei J, Wunderlich M, Fox C, Alvarez S, Cigudosa JC, Wilhelm JS, Zheng Y, Cancelas JA, Gu Y, Jansen M, Dimartino JF, Mulloy JC
- Issue date: 2008 Jun
- The trithorax protein partner menin acts in tandem with EZH2 to suppress C/EBPα and differentiation in MLL-AF9 leukemia.
- Authors: Thiel AT, Feng Z, Pant DK, Chodosh LA, Hua X
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Malignant transformation initiated by Mll-AF9: gene dosage and critical target cells.
- Authors: Chen W, Kumar AR, Hudson WA, Li Q, Wu B, Staggs RA, Lund EA, Sam TN, Kersey JH
- Issue date: 2008 May