AffiliationEndocrine Unit, Evgenidion Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroid disease and type 1 but also type 2 diabetes mellitus are strongly associated and this has important clinical implications for insulin sensitivity and treatment requirements. The pathophysiological basis of this association has only recently been better elucidated. It rests on a complex interaction of common signalling pathways and, in the case of type 1 diabetes and autoimmune thyroid disease, on a linked genetic susceptibility. The pathophysiological mechanisms underlying this linked regulation are increasingly being unravelled. They are exemplified in the regulation of 5' adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), a central target not only for the modulation of insulin sensitivity but also for the feedback of thyroid hormones on appetite and energy expenditure. The present review will discuss these concepts and their consequences for the clinical care of patients with diabetes mellitus and thyroid disorders. Moreover, it makes reference to the added effect of metformin in suppressing TSH.
CitationThe Interface between thyroid and diabetes mellitus. 2011, 75(1): 1-9 Clin Endocrinol
- [Diabetes and thyroid disorders].
- Authors: Reismann P, Somogyi A
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 27
- Thyroid hormone improves the mechanical performance of the post-infarcted diabetic myocardium: a response associated with up-regulation of Akt/mTOR and AMPK activation.
- Authors: Mourouzis I, Giagourta I, Galanopoulos G, Mantzouratou P, Kostakou E, Kokkinos AD, Tentolouris N, Pantos C
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Thyrovigilance in diabetes; glucovigilance in thyroidology.
- Authors: Kalra S, Khandelwal D
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Familial distribution of thyroid disease and diabetes: further evidence for aetiological heterogeneity of diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Gray RS, Elton RA, Clarke BF
- Issue date: 1983 Spring
- Thyroid disorders and diabetes mellitus.
- Authors: Grassetto G, Rubello D
- Issue date: 2008 Jun