Positron emission tomography imaging approaches for external beam radiation therapies: current status and future developments.
AffiliationDepartment of Academic Radiation Oncology, The University of Manchester, The Christie Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn an era in which it is possible to deliver radiation with high precision, there is a heightened need for enhanced imaging capabilities to improve tumour localisation for diagnostic, planning and delivery purposes. This is necessary to increase the accuracy and overall efficacy of all types of external beam radiotherapy (RT), including particle therapies. Positron emission tomography (PET) has the potential to fulfil this need by imaging fundamental aspects of tumour biology. The key areas in which PET may support the RT process include improving disease diagnosis and staging; assisting tumour volume delineation; defining tumour phenotype or biological tumour volume; assessment of treatment response; and in-beam monitoring of radiation dosimetry. The role of PET and its current developmental status in these key areas are overviewed in this review, highlighting the advantages and drawbacks.
CitationPositron emission tomography imaging approaches for external beam radiation therapies: current status and future developments. 2011, 84 Spec No 1:S19-34 Br J Radiol
JournalBritish Journal of Radiology
- Positron emission tomography for radiation treatment planning.
- Authors: Grosu AL, Piert M, Weber WA, Jeremic B, Picchio M, Schratzenstaller U, Zimmermann FB, Schwaiger M, Molls M
- Issue date: 2005 Aug
- [The contribution of PET to radiation treatment planning].
- Authors: Belkacémi Y, Lartigau E, Kerrou K, Carpentier P, Taïeb S, Giraud P
- Issue date: 2007 Jan
- The promise and pitfalls of positron emission tomography and single-photon emission computed tomography molecular imaging-guided radiation therapy.
- Authors: Wahl RL, Herman JM, Ford E
- Issue date: 2011 Apr
- Strategies of assessing and quantifying radiation treatment metabolic tumor response using F18 FDG Positron Emission Tomography (PET).
- Authors: Fuss M
- Issue date: 2010 Oct
- PET-based radiation therapy planning.
- Authors: Speirs CK, Grigsby PW, Huang J, Thorstad WL, Parikh PJ, Robinson CG, Bradley JD
- Issue date: 2015 Jan