FACT: An Open-Label Randomized Phase III Study of Fulvestrant and Anastrozole in Combination Compared With Anastrozole Alone as First-Line Therapy for Patients With Receptor-Positive Postmenopausal Breast Cancer.
AffiliationManchester University and Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE To compare the effect of therapy with anastrozole versus a combination of fulvestrant and anastrozole in women in first relapse of endocrine-responsive breast cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS Postmenopausal women, or premenopausal women receiving a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist, with estrogen receptor- and/or progesterone receptor-positive disease at first relapse after primary treatment of localized disease were open-label randomly assigned to a fulvestrant loading dose (LD) regimen followed by monthly injection plus 1 mg of anastrozole daily or to 1 mg of anastrozole daily alone. The primary end point was time to progression (TTP). RESULTS: 63 patients (24.6%) versus 35 patients (13.8%) in the standard arm (P = .0023). Death owing to AEs was reported in 11 (4.3%) and five patients (2.0%) in the experimental versus standard arm, respectively. CONCLUSION Fulvestrant (250 mg + LD regimen) in combination with anastrozole offered no clinical efficacy advantage over anastrozole monotherapy in this population of individuals with a relatively high proportion of previous adjuvant antiestrogen exposure.
CitationFACT: An Open-Label Randomized Phase III Study of Fulvestrant and Anastrozole in Combination Compared With Anastrozole Alone as First-Line Therapy for Patients With Receptor-Positive Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. 2012, 30(16):1919-25 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg for the first-line treatment of advanced breast cancer: follow-up analysis from the randomized 'FIRST' study.
- Authors: Robertson JF, Lindemann JP, Llombart-Cussac A, Rolski J, Feltl D, Dewar J, Emerson L, Dean A, Ellis MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Trastuzumab plus anastrozole versus anastrozole alone for the treatment of postmenopausal women with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive, hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer: results from the randomized phase III TAnDEM study.
- Authors: Kaufman B, Mackey JR, Clemens MR, Bapsy PP, Vaid A, Wardley A, Tjulandin S, Jahn M, Lehle M, Feyereislova A, Révil C, Jones A
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 20
- Activity of fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg as first-line treatment for advanced breast cancer: results from the FIRST study.
- Authors: Robertson JF, Llombart-Cussac A, Rolski J, Feltl D, Dewar J, Macpherson E, Lindemann J, Ellis MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 20
- Fulvestrant plus anastrozole or placebo versus exemestane alone after progression on non-steroidal aromatase inhibitors in postmenopausal patients with hormone-receptor-positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer (SoFEA): a composite, multicentre, phase 3 randomised trial.
- Authors: Johnston SR, Kilburn LS, Ellis P, Dodwell D, Cameron D, Hayward L, Im YH, Braybrooke JP, Brunt AM, Cheung KL, Jyothirmayi R, Robinson A, Wardley AM, Wheatley D, Howell A, Coombes G, Sergenson N, Sin HJ, Folkerd E, Dowsett M, Bliss JM, SoFEA investigators.
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Combination anastrozole and fulvestrant in metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Mehta RS, Barlow WE, Albain KS, Vandenberg TA, Dakhil SR, Tirumali NR, Lew DL, Hayes DF, Gralow JR, Livingston RB, Hortobagyi GN
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 2