FACT: An Open-Label Randomized Phase III Study of Fulvestrant and Anastrozole in Combination Compared With Anastrozole Alone as First-Line Therapy for Patients With Receptor-Positive Postmenopausal Breast Cancer.
AffiliationManchester University and Christie Hospital, Manchester, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPURPOSE To compare the effect of therapy with anastrozole versus a combination of fulvestrant and anastrozole in women in first relapse of endocrine-responsive breast cancer. PATIENTS AND METHODS Postmenopausal women, or premenopausal women receiving a gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist, with estrogen receptor- and/or progesterone receptor-positive disease at first relapse after primary treatment of localized disease were open-label randomly assigned to a fulvestrant loading dose (LD) regimen followed by monthly injection plus 1 mg of anastrozole daily or to 1 mg of anastrozole daily alone. The primary end point was time to progression (TTP). RESULTS: 63 patients (24.6%) versus 35 patients (13.8%) in the standard arm (P = .0023). Death owing to AEs was reported in 11 (4.3%) and five patients (2.0%) in the experimental versus standard arm, respectively. CONCLUSION Fulvestrant (250 mg + LD regimen) in combination with anastrozole offered no clinical efficacy advantage over anastrozole monotherapy in this population of individuals with a relatively high proportion of previous adjuvant antiestrogen exposure.
CitationFACT: An Open-Label Randomized Phase III Study of Fulvestrant and Anastrozole in Combination Compared With Anastrozole Alone as First-Line Therapy for Patients With Receptor-Positive Postmenopausal Breast Cancer. 2012, 30(16):1919-25 J Clin Oncol
JournalJournal of Clinical Oncology
- Fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg for the first-line treatment of advanced breast cancer: follow-up analysis from the randomized 'FIRST' study.
- Authors: Robertson JF, Lindemann JP, Llombart-Cussac A, Rolski J, Feltl D, Dewar J, Emerson L, Dean A, Ellis MJ
- Issue date: 2012 Nov
- Trastuzumab plus anastrozole versus anastrozole alone for the treatment of postmenopausal women with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive, hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer: results from the randomized phase III TAnDEM study.
- Authors: Kaufman B, Mackey JR, Clemens MR, Bapsy PP, Vaid A, Wardley A, Tjulandin S, Jahn M, Lehle M, Feyereislova A, Révil C, Jones A
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 20
- Activity of fulvestrant 500 mg versus anastrozole 1 mg as first-line treatment for advanced breast cancer: results from the FIRST study.
- Authors: Robertson JF, Llombart-Cussac A, Rolski J, Feltl D, Dewar J, Macpherson E, Lindemann J, Ellis MJ
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 20
- Combination anastrozole and fulvestrant in metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Mehta RS, Barlow WE, Albain KS, Vandenberg TA, Dakhil SR, Tirumali NR, Lew DL, Hayes DF, Gralow JR, Livingston RB, Hortobagyi GN
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 2
- Hormonal therapy plus bevacizumab in postmenopausal patients who have hormone receptor-positive metastatic breast cancer: a phase II Trial of the Sarah Cannon Oncology Research Consortium.
- Authors: Yardley DA, Burris HA 3rd, Clark BL, Shipley D, Rubin M, Barton J Jr, Arrowsmith E, Hainsworth JD
- Issue date: 2011 Jun