Use of G-CSF during concurrent chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer safety data from a phase II trial.
AuthorsSheikh, Hamid Y
Colaco, Rovel J
Lorigan, Paul C
Blackhall, Fiona H
AffiliationDept of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThere is paucity of data in the literature regarding the safety of combining granulocyte colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) during chemo-radiotherapy (CTRT) in lung cancer patients. The ASCO 2006 recommendations advise against use of CSFs during concomitant mediastinal CTRT. The only randomised study evaluating CSFs in this context showed significant increase in grade 3/4 thrombocytopenia and an excess of pulmonary toxic deaths. In the context of a phase II trial, 38 patients with limited-stage small cell lung cancer were randomised to receive once-daily (66 Gy in 33 fractions) or twice-daily (45 Gy in 30 fractions) radiotherapy. Radiotherapy (RT) was given concurrently with cisplatin and etoposide. G-CSF was given as primary or secondary prophylaxis or as a therapeutic measure during an episode of febrile neutropenia according to local protocols. Common terminology criteria for adverse events (CTCAE) v3.0 was used to record toxicity. Thirteen (34%) of 38 patients received G-CSF concurrently with RT. With a median follow-up of 16.9 months, there were no treatment related deaths reported. Seven (54%) patients experienced grade 3/4 thrombocytopenia and 5 (38%) experienced grade 3/4 anaemia. Thirty-one percent required platelet transfusions. No episodes of bleeding were observed. There were no cases of grade 3/4 acute pneumonitis. These data suggests that with modern three-dimensional (3D) conformal RT, G-CSF administration concurrently with CTRT does not result in the increase risk of pulmonary toxicity, but does increase the risk of thrombocytopenia. Whether the risks of thrombocytopenia are outweighed by the outcome of timely early concurrent CTRT is being evaluated prospectively in the ongoing phase III CONVERT trial (NCT00433563) in which G-CSF is permitted during thoracic irradiation.
CitationUse of G-CSF during concurrent chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer safety data from a phase II trial. 2011, 74 (1):75-9 Lung Cancer
- Omitting elective nodal irradiation during thoracic irradiation in limited-stage small cell lung cancer--evidence from a phase II trial.
- Authors: Colaco R, Sheikh H, Lorigan P, Blackhall F, Hulse P, Califano R, Ashcroft L, Taylor P, Thatcher N, Faivre-Finn C
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Phase II study of intensive chemotherapy with carboplatin, ifosfamide and etoposide plus recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and sequential radiotherapy in locally advanced, unresectable non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Scagliotti GV, Ricardi U, Crinó L, Maranzano E, De Marinis F, Morandi MG, Meacci L, Marangolo M, Emiliani E, Rosti G, Figoli F, Bolzicco G, Masiero P, Gentile A, Tonato M
- Issue date: 1996
- Concurrent once-daily versus twice-daily chemoradiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer (CONVERT): an open-label, phase 3, randomised, superiority trial.
- Authors: Faivre-Finn C, Snee M, Ashcroft L, Appel W, Barlesi F, Bhatnagar A, Bezjak A, Cardenal F, Fournel P, Harden S, Le Pechoux C, McMenemin R, Mohammed N, O'Brien M, Pantarotto J, Surmont V, Van Meerbeeck JP, Woll PJ, Lorigan P, Blackhall F, CONVERT Study Team.
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Induction paclitaxel and carboplatin followed by concurrent chemoradiotherapy in patients with unresectable, locally advanced non-small cell lung carcinoma: report of Fox Chase Cancer Center study 94-001.
- Authors: Langer CJ, Movsas B, Hudes R, Schol J, Keenan E, Kilpatrick D, Yeung C, Curran W
- Issue date: 1997 Aug
- Results of a phase II concurrent chemoradiotherapy study using three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy with cisplatin and oral etoposide in stage III nonsmall-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Chen LM, Ignacio L, Jacobs R, Kozloff M, Telfer M, Elahi R, Evans R, Vijayakumar S
- Issue date: 1999