Comparison of serum cortisol measurement by immunoassay and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in patients receiving the 11β-hydroxylase inhibitor metyrapone.
AffiliationBiochemistry Department, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Withington, Manchester M20 4BX, UK. firstname.lastname@example.org
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe accurate measurement of cortisol by immunoassay is compromised by the potential for cross-reactivity of reagent antibodies with structurally related steroids present in serum. This susceptibility is potentiated when normal steroid metabolism is altered pharmaceutically by antisteroidogenic drugs utilized in the management of Cushing's syndrome to moderate cortisol production. The clinical implications of falsely elevated cortisol results include over-treatment and unrecognized hypoadrenalism. To investigate the effect of the 11β-hydroxylase inhibitor metyrapone on serum cortisol assay, a comparison of measurement by immunoassay versus liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) was conducted.
CitationComparison of serum cortisol measurement by immunoassay and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in patients receiving the 11β-hydroxylase inhibitor metyrapone. 2011, 48 (Pt 5):441-6 Ann Clin Biochem
JournalAnnals of Clinical Biochemistry
- Cortisol measurement in patients receiving metyrapone therapy.
- Authors: Owen LJ, Halsall DJ, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2010 Nov
- Comparison of serum cortisol measurement by immunoassay and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in patients receiving the 11β-hydroxylase inhibitor metyrapone.
- Authors: Halsall DJ, Gurnell M
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Measurement of urinary free cortisol using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry: comparison with the urine adapted ACS:180 serum cortisol chemiluminescent immunoassay and development of a new reference range.
- Authors: McCann SJ, Gillingwater S, Keevil BG
- Issue date: 2005 Mar
- Differences in the spectrum of steroidogenic enzyme inhibition between Osilodrostat and Metyrapone in ACTH-dependent Cushing syndrome patients.
- Authors: Bonnet-Serrano F, Poirier J, Vaczlavik A, Laguillier-Morizot C, Blanchet B, Baron S, Guignat L, Bessiene L, Bricaire L, Groussin L, Assié G, Guibourdenche J, Bertherat J
- Issue date: 2022 Aug 1
- Detection of synthetic glucocorticoids by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry in patients being investigated for Cushing's syndrome.
- Authors: Djedovic NK, Rainbow SJ
- Issue date: 2011 Nov