Biomarkers for small cell lung cancer: Neuroendocrine, epithelial and circulating tumour cells.
AffiliationFaculty of Life Sciences, Manchester Academic Health Sciences Centre, University of Manchester, AV Hill Building, Manchester, M13 9PT, UK; Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Wilmslow Road, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall cell lung cancer (SCLC) is characterised by an aggressive clinical course with invariable resistance to chemotherapy despite initially high response rates. There has been little improvement in outcome over the past few decades, with no breakthrough yet in targeted therapies. Recent preclinical data and studies of circulating tumour cells (CTCs) highlight distinct cellular heterogeneity within SCLC. Better understanding of how these phenotypes contribute to metastasis and tumour progression might pave the way for development of more successful targeted therapies. Here we review these studies, their implications for future research and for the incorporation of biomarkers reflecting neuroendocrine, epithelial and mesenchymal phenotypes in clinical studies.
CitationBiomarkers for small cell lung cancer: Neuroendocrine, epithelial and circulating tumour cells. 2011: Lung Cancer
- Irradiation Decreases the Neuroendocrine Biomarker Pro-Opiomelanocortin in Small Cell Lung Cancer Cells In Vitro and In Vivo.
- Authors: Meredith SL, Bryant JL, Babur M, Riddell PW, Behrouzi R, Williams KJ, White A
- Issue date: 2016
- Neuroendocrine and epithelial phenotypes in small-cell lung cancer: implications for metastasis and survival in patients.
- Authors: Stovold R, Meredith SL, Bryant JL, Babur M, Williams KJ, Dean EJ, Dive C, Blackhall FH, White A
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 30
- Small cell lung carcinoma with marked bronchial epithelial involvement.
- Authors: Rosen Y, Durie NM
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Small cell lung cancer: Circulating tumor cells of extended stage patients express a mesenchymal-epithelial transition phenotype.
- Authors: Hamilton G, Hochmair M, Rath B, Klameth L, Zeillinger R
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 3
- Clinical significance and molecular characteristics of circulating tumor cells and circulating tumor microemboli in patients with small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Hou JM, Krebs MG, Lancashire L, Sloane R, Backen A, Swain RK, Priest LJ, Greystoke A, Zhou C, Morris K, Ward T, Blackhall FH, Dive C
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 10