Targeted agents in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Clinical developments and rationale for the combination with thoracic radiotherapy.
AffiliationDepartment of Clinical Oncology, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn recent years there has been undoubted progress in the evaluation and development of targeted agents for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). A major contributor has been the discovery of molecular subtypes harbouring a critical oncogenic driver mutation, specifically sensitizing mutations in the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene and the EML4-ALK gene translocation. Radiotherapy is a cornerstone of therapy for the curative intent treatment of early stage, localized disease; and for the palliation of symptoms in advanced, metastatic disease. In this molecular targeted era there is limited understanding of how best to combine targeted agents with radiotherapy and in general clinical studies with radiotherapy have lagged behind studies of targeted agents with chemotherapy. Here we summarise the progress made to date and highlight future directions.
CitationTargeted agents in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): Clinical developments and rationale for the combination with thoracic radiotherapy. 2011: Cancer Treat Rev
JournalCancer Treatment Reviews
- Targeted therapies for non-small-cell lung cancer: biology, rationale, and preclinical results from a radiation oncology perspective.
- Authors: Raben D, Helfrich B, Bunn PA Jr
- Issue date: 2004
- EGFR inhibitors with concurrent thoracic radiation therapy for locally advanced non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Xu Y, Zhang Y, Ma S
- Issue date: 2011 Sep
- Potential role for epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in combined-modality therapy for non-small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Kim DW, Choy H
- Issue date: 2004
- ALK translocation and crizotinib in non-small cell lung cancer: an evolving paradigm in oncology drug development.
- Authors: Scagliotti G, Stahel RA, Rosell R, Thatcher N, Soria JC
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Combining targeted therapies and drugs with multiple targets in the treatment of NSCLC.
- Authors: Maione P, Gridelli C, Troiani T, Ciardiello F
- Issue date: 2006 Mar