H2O2 stress-specific regulation of S. pombe MAPK Sty1 by mitochondrial protein phosphatase Ptc4.
Holmes, Emily J
Kotiadis, V N
Gourlay, C W
Wilkinson, Caroline R M
AffiliationCell Regulation Group, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn fission yeast, the stress-activated MAP kinase, Sty1, is activated via phosphorylation upon exposure to stress and orchestrates an appropriate response. Its activity is attenuated by either serine/threonine PP2C or tyrosine phosphatases. Here, we found that the PP2C phosphatase, Ptc4, plays an important role in inactivating Sty1 specifically upon oxidative stress. Sty1 activity remains high in a ptc4 deletion mutant upon H(2)O(2) but not under other types of stress. Surprisingly, Ptc4 localizes to the mitochondria and is targeted there by an N-terminal mitochondrial targeting sequence (MTS), which is cleaved upon import. A fraction of Sty1 also localizes to the mitochondria suggesting that Ptc4 attenuates the activity of a mitochondrial pool of this MAPK. Cleavage of the Ptc4 MTS is greatly reduced specifically upon H(2)O(2), resulting in the full-length form of the phosphatase; this displays a stronger interaction with Sty1, thus suggesting a novel mechanism by which the negative regulation of MAPK signalling is controlled and providing an explanation for the oxidative stress-specific nature of the regulation of Sty1 by Ptc4.
CitationH2O2 stress-specific regulation of S. pombe MAPK Sty1 by mitochondrial protein phosphatase Ptc4. 2012, 31 (3):563-75 EMBO J.
- Role of mitogen-activated protein kinase Sty1 in regulation of eukaryotic initiation factor 2alpha kinases in response to environmental stress in Schizosaccharomyces pombe.
- Authors: Berlanga JJ, Rivero D, Martín R, Herrero S, Moreno S, de Haro C
- Issue date: 2010 Jan
- Deciphering the role of the signal- and Sty1 kinase-dependent phosphorylation of the stress-responsive transcription factor Atf1 on gene activation.
- Authors: Salat-Canela C, Paulo E, Sánchez-Mir L, Carmona M, Ayté J, Oliva B, Hidalgo E
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 18
- The Srk1 protein kinase is a target for the Sty1 stress-activated MAPK in fission yeast.
- Authors: Smith DA, Toone WM, Chen D, Bahler J, Jones N, Morgan BA, Quinn J
- Issue date: 2002 Sep 6
- Evidence for a novel MAPKKK-independent pathway controlling the stress activated Sty1/Spc1 MAP kinase in fission yeast.
- Authors: Shieh JC, Martin H, Millar JB
- Issue date: 1998 Sep
- Stress-activated protein kinase-mediated down-regulation of the cell integrity pathway mitogen-activated protein kinase Pmk1p by protein phosphatases.
- Authors: Madrid M, Núñez A, Soto T, Vicente-Soler J, Gacto M, Cansado J
- Issue date: 2007 Nov