Breast reconstruction following prophylactic mastectomy for smaller breasts: The superiorly based pectoralis fascial flap with the Becker 35 expandable implant.
AuthorsRoss, Gary L
AffiliationDepartment of Plastic Surgery, The Christie, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, United Kingdom.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractINTRODUCTION: Immediate reconstruction using tissue expander/implants following prophylactic mastectomy for smaller breasts is a reliable means of providing similar size, shape and symmetrical reconstructions. The superiorly based pectoralis fascial flap allows an immediate reconstruction of the inferior pole and may eliminate the need for tissue expansion. METHODS: The superiorly based pectoralis fascial flap and implant was performed on 5 patients (10 breasts). The Becker 35 expandable implant was used in all cases and average size was 349 (range 290-400cc). Average age was 33 (range 21-43). The average BMI was 23 (range 20-26). One patient underwent further tissue expansion of the Becker 35 postoperatively. One patient developed a seroma in the abdominal fascial flap donor site that settled without the need for drainage. There were no other complications. CONCLUSION: The superiorly based pectoralis fascial flap provides a one-stop reconstruction of the lower pole and can eliminate the need for tissue expansion in patients with small breasts.
CitationBreast reconstruction following prophylactic mastectomy for smaller breasts: The superiorly based pectoralis fascial flap with the Becker 35 expandable implant. 2012: J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg
JournalJournal of Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery
- One stage breast reconstruction following prophylactic mastectomy for ptotic breasts: the inferior dermal flap and implant.
- Authors: Ross GL
- Issue date: 2012 Sep
- Breast reconstruction with the Bostwick autoderm technique.
- Authors: Ladizinsky DA, Sandholm PH, Jewett ST, Shahzad F, Andrews K
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Dual Coverage of the Inferior Pole with Conjoined Fascial Flap and Acellular Dermal Matrix for Immediate One-Stage Breast Reconstruction with a Prosthetic Implant.
- Authors: Lee SH, Chun YS, Park HK, Kim YW, Cheon YW
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Reconstructive outcomes in patients undergoing contralateral prophylactic mastectomy.
- Authors: Crosby MA, Garvey PB, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Sacks JM, Villa MT, Lin HY, Park SJ, Baumann DP
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Long-term reconstructive outcomes after expander-implant breast reconstruction with serious infectious or wound-healing complications.
- Authors: Peled AW, Stover AC, Foster RD, McGrath MH, Hwang ES
- Issue date: 2012 Apr