Real-time optical measurement of the dynamic body surface for use in guided radiotherapy.
AffiliationDeveloping Technologies, Christie Medical Physics and Engineering, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK. Gareth.Price@physics.cr.man.ac.uk
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractOptical measurements are increasingly used in radiotherapy. In this paper we present, in detail, the design and implementation of a multi-channel optical system optimized for fast, high spatial resolution, dynamic body surface measurement in guided therapy. We include all algorithmic modifications and calibration procedures required to create a robust, practical system for clinical use. Comprehensive static and dynamic phantom validation measurements in the radiotherapy treatment room show: conformance with simultaneously measured cone beam CT data to within 1 mm over 62% ± 8% of the surface and 2 mm over 90% ± 3%; agreement with the measured radius of a precision geometrical phantom to within 1 mm; and true real-time performance with image capture through to surface display at 23 Hz. An example patient dataset is additionally included, indicating similar performance in the clinic.
CitationReal-time optical measurement of the dynamic body surface for use in guided radiotherapy. 2012, 57 (2):415-36 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Validation of a deformable image registration technique for cone beam CT-based dose verification.
- Authors: Moteabbed M, Sharp GC, Wang Y, Trofimov A, Efstathiou JA, Lu HM
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Improved image quality of cone beam CT scans for radiotherapy image guidance using fiber-interspaced antiscatter grid.
- Authors: Stankovic U, van Herk M, Ploeger LS, Sonke JJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- The development and verification of a highly accurate collision prediction model for automated noncoplanar plan delivery.
- Authors: Yu VY, Tran A, Nguyen D, Cao M, Ruan D, Low DA, Sheng K
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Characterization of a prototype rapid kilovoltage x-ray image guidance system designed for a ring shape radiation therapy unit.
- Authors: Cai B, Laugeman E, Mazur TR, Park JC, Henke LE, Kim H, Hugo GD, Mutic S, Li H
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- Cone beam computed tomography image guidance system for a dedicated intracranial radiosurgery treatment unit.
- Authors: Ruschin M, Komljenovic PT, Ansell S, Ménard C, Bootsma G, Cho YB, Chung C, Jaffray D
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 1