Intra-abdominal Clear-Cell Sarcoma: A Report of 3 Cases, Including 1 Case With Unusual Morphological Features, and Review of the Literature.
Salman, W D
Mangham, D C
Eyden, Brian P
Banerjee, Saumitra S
AffiliationThe Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractClear-cell sarcoma (CCS) is a soft-tissue neoplasm that morphologically resembles cutaneous malignant melanoma but has a distinct molecular profile. Gastrointestinal and intra-abdominal CCSs are very rare. Here, the authors present 3 cases of intra-abdominal CCS and review the literature. Of these cases, 2 involved the small bowel, and 1 involved the peritoneum. Cases 1 and 3 had the characteristic CCS morphology, but case 2 was morphologically unusual and therefore difficult to diagnose. It had relatively small cells with less prominence of clear cells; many pseudoglandular structures were also present. It also showed aberrant expression of epithelial membrane antigen (EMA). The other 2 cases also involved some diagnostic uncertainty and were therefore referred to specialized centers. The authors wish to emphasize the importance of molecular studies in making a conclusive diagnosis of intra-abdominal CCS.
CitationIntra-abdominal Clear-Cell Sarcoma: A Report of 3 Cases, Including 1 Case With Unusual Morphological Features, and Review of the Literature. 2011: Int J Surg Pathol
JournalInternational Journal of Surgical Pathology
- Clear cell sarcoma of soft tissue: a clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular analysis of 33 cases.
- Authors: Hisaoka M, Ishida T, Kuo TT, Matsuyama A, Imamura T, Nishida K, Kuroda H, Inayama Y, Oshiro H, Kobayashi H, Nakajima T, Fukuda T, Ae K, Hashimoto H
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Visceral clear cell sarcoma of soft tissue with confirmation by EWS-ATF1 fusion detection.
- Authors: Granville L, Hicks J, Popek E, Dishop M, Tatevian N, Lopez-Terrada D
- Issue date: 2006 Jan-Feb
- Diagnostic utility of EWS break-apart fluorescence in situ hybridization in distinguishing between non-cutaneous melanoma and clear cell sarcoma.
- Authors: Song JS, Choi J, Kim JH, Jang SJ, Cho KJ
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Dual-color, break-apart fluorescence in situ hybridization for EWS gene rearrangement distinguishes clear cell sarcoma of soft tissue from malignant melanoma.
- Authors: Patel RM, Downs-Kelly E, Weiss SW, Folpe AL, Tubbs RR, Tuthill RJ, Goldblum JR, Skacel M
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Cytologic features of clear cell sarcoma (malignant melanoma) of soft parts: a study of fine-needle aspirates and exfoliative specimens.
- Authors: Creager AJ, Pitman MB, Geisinger KR
- Issue date: 2002 Feb