Randomized phase IIIb trial evaluating the continuation of bevacizumab beyond disease progression in patients with advanced non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer after first-line treatment with bevacizumab plus platinum-based chemotherapy: treatment rationale and protocol dynamics of the AvaALL (MO22097) trial.
de Castro, J
Wong, E K
AffiliationDivision of Medical Oncology, SG Moscati Hospital, Avellino, Italy.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe present the treatment rationale and study design of the AvaALL (MO22097; ClinicalTrials: NCT01351415) trial, a multicenter, open-label, randomized, two-arm, phase IIIb study. Patients with advanced non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) whose disease has progressed after four to six cycles of first-line treatment with bevacizumab plus a platinum-based doublet and a minimum of two cycles of bevacizumab (monotherapy) maintenance treatment will be randomized in a 1:1 ratio to one of two study arms. Patients treated on arm A will receive bevacizumab 7.5 or 15 mg/kg intravenously (I.V.) on day 1, every 21 days plus, investigator's choice of agents indicated for use in second-line (limited to pemetrexed, docetaxel, or erlotinib) and subsequent lines of treatment. Patients treated on arm B, will receive investigator's choice of agents alone indicated for use in second-line and subsequent lines of treatment, but no further bevacizumab treatment. The primary endpoint of this study is overall survival (OS). Secondary endpoints include the 6-month, 12-month, and 18-month OS rates, progression-free survival, and time to progression at second and third progressive disease (PD), response rate, disease control rates, and duration of response at second and third PD. Additionally, efficacy in the subgroup of patients with adenocarcinoma, and the safety of bevacizumab treatment across multiple lines of treatment will be assessed. Exploratory objectives include assessment of the quality of life through multiple lines of treatment, comparison of the efficacy between Asian and non-Asian patients, and correlation of biomarkers with efficacy outcomes, disease response, and adverse events.
CitationRandomized phase IIIb trial evaluating the continuation of bevacizumab beyond disease progression in patients with advanced non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer after first-line treatment with bevacizumab plus platinum-based chemotherapy: treatment rationale and protocol dynamics of the AvaALL (MO22097) trial. 2011, 12 (6):407-11 Clin Lung Cancer
JournalClinical Lung Cancer
- Phase II study of efficacy and safety of bevacizumab in combination with chemotherapy or erlotinib compared with chemotherapy alone for treatment of recurrent or refractory non small-cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Herbst RS, O'Neill VJ, Fehrenbacher L, Belani CP, Bonomi PD, Hart L, Melnyk O, Ramies D, Lin M, Sandler A
- Issue date: 2007 Oct 20
- Induction pemetrexed and cisplatin followed by maintenance pemetrexed versus carboplatin plus paclitaxel plus bevacizumab followed by maintenance bevacizumab: a quality of life-oriented randomized phase III study in patients with advanced non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (ERACLE).
- Authors: Galetta D, Pisconti S, Cinieri S, Pappagallo GL, Gebbia V, Borsellino N, Maiello E, Rinaldi A, Montrone M, Rizzo P, Marzano N, Sasso N, Febbraro A, Colucci G
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Impact of treatment with bevacizumab beyond disease progression: a randomized phase II study of docetaxel with or without bevacizumab after platinum-based chemotherapy plus bevacizumab in patients with advanced nonsquamous non-small cell lung cancer (WJOG 5910L).
- Authors: Takeda M, Okamoto I, Yamanaka T, Nakagawa K, Nakanishi Y
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 1
- Maintenance therapy with pemetrexed plus best supportive care versus placebo plus best supportive care after induction therapy with pemetrexed plus cisplatin for advanced non-squamous non-small-cell lung cancer (PARAMOUNT): a double-blind, phase 3, randomised controlled trial.
- Authors: Paz-Ares L, de Marinis F, Dediu M, Thomas M, Pujol JL, Bidoli P, Molinier O, Sahoo TP, Laack E, Reck M, Corral J, Melemed S, John W, Chouaki N, Zimmermann AH, Visseren-Grul C, Gridelli C
- Issue date: 2012 Mar
- Docetaxel or pemetrexed with or without cetuximab in recurrent or progressive non-small-cell lung cancer after platinum-based therapy: a phase 3, open-label, randomised trial.
- Authors: Kim ES, Neubauer M, Cohn A, Schwartzberg L, Garbo L, Caton J, Robert F, Reynolds C, Katz T, Chittoor S, Simms L, Saxman S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec