Risk of cancer other than breast or ovarian in individuals with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations.
AffiliationNorth West Cancer Intelligence Service, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, M20 3LJ, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe risks of cancers other than breast and ovarian amongst BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutation carriers are based on relatively few family based studies with the risk of specific cancers tested in population based samples of cancers from founder populations. We assessed risks of "other cancers" in 268 BRCA1 families and 222 BRCA2 families using a person years at risk analysis from 1975 to 2005. Cancer confirmations were overall higher than in previous family based studies at 64%. There was no overall increase in risk for BRCA1 carriers although oesophagus had a significant increased RR of 2.9 (95% CI 1.1-6.0) and stomach at 2.4 (95% CI 1.2-4.3), these were based mainly on unconfirmed cases. For BRCA2 increased risks for cancers of the pancreas (RR 4.1, 95% CI 1.9-7.8) and prostate (RR 6.3, 95% CI 4.3-9.0) and uveal melanoma (RR 99.4, 95% CI 11.1-359.8) were confirmed. Possible new associations with oesophagus (RR 4.1, 95% CI 1.9-7.8) and stomach (RR 2.7, 95% CI 1.3-4.8) were detected but these findings should be treated with caution due to lower confirmation rates. In contrast to previous research a higher risk of prostate cancer was found in males with mutations in the BRCA2 OCCR region. The present study strengthens the known links between BRCA2 and pancreatic and prostate cancer, but throws further doubt onto any association with BRCA1. New associations with upper gastro-intestinal malignancy need to be treated with caution and confirmed by large prospective studies.
CitationRisk of cancer other than breast or ovarian in individuals with BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations. 2011:Fam Cancer
- Cancer Risks Associated With <i>BRCA1</i> and <i>BRCA2</i> Pathogenic Variants.
- Authors: Li S, Silvestri V, Leslie G, Rebbeck TR, Neuhausen SL, Hopper JL, Nielsen HR, Lee A, Yang X, McGuffog L, Parsons MT, Andrulis IL, Arnold N, Belotti M, Borg Å, Buecher B, Buys SS, Caputo SM, Chung WK, Colas C, Colonna SV, Cook J, Daly MB, de la Hoya M, de Pauw A, Delhomelle H, Eason J, Engel C, Evans DG, Faust U, Fehm TN, Fostira F, Fountzilas G, Frone M, Garcia-Barberan V, Garre P, Gauthier-Villars M, Gehrig A, Glendon G, Goldgar DE, Golmard L, Greene MH, Hahnen E, Hamann U, Hanson H, Hassan T, Hentschel J, Horvath J, Izatt L, Janavicius R, Jiao Y, John EM, Karlan BY, Kim SW, Konstantopoulou I, Kwong A, Laugé A, Lee JW, Lesueur F, Mebirouk N, Meindl A, Mouret-Fourme E, Musgrave H, Ngeow Yuen Yie J, Niederacher D, Park SK, Pedersen IS, Ramser J, Ramus SJ, Rantala J, Rashid MU, Reichl F, Ritter J, Rump A, Santamariña M, Saule C, Schmidt G, Schmutzler RK, Senter L, Shariff S, Singer CF, Southey MC, Stoppa-Lyonnet D, Sutter C, Tan Y, Teo SH, Terry MB, Thomassen M, Tischkowitz M, Toland AE, Torres D, Vega A, Wagner SA, Wang-Gohrke S, Wappenschmidt B, Weber BHF, Yannoukakos D, Spurdle AB, Easton DF, Chenevix-Trench G, Ottini L, Antoniou AC
- Issue date: 2022 May 10
- Cancer risks in BRCA2 mutation carriers.
- Authors: Breast Cancer Linkage Consortium.
- Issue date: 1999 Aug 4
- Prevalence and penetrance of germline BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations in a population series of 649 women with ovarian cancer.
- Authors: Risch HA, McLaughlin JR, Cole DE, Rosen B, Bradley L, Kwan E, Jack E, Vesprini DJ, Kuperstein G, Abrahamson JL, Fan I, Wong B, Narod SA
- Issue date: 2001 Mar
- Cancer variation associated with the position of the mutation in the BRCA2 gene.
- Authors: Lubinski J, Phelan CM, Ghadirian P, Lynch HT, Garber J, Weber B, Tung N, Horsman D, Isaacs C, Monteiro AN, Sun P, Narod SA
- Issue date: 2004
- Evaluation of the contribution of germline variants in BRCA1 and BRCA2 to uveal and cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Johansson PA, Nathan V, Bourke LM, Palmer JM, Zhang T, Symmons J, Howlie M, Patch AM, Read J, Holland EA, Schmid H, Warrier S, Glasson W, Höiom V, Wadt K, Jönsson G, Olsson H, Ingvar C, Mann G, Brown KM, Hayward NK, Pritchard AL
- Issue date: 2019 Oct