AffiliationGurdon Institute, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QN, UK. email@example.com
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract'…in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace-and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock'. Orson Welles as Harry Lime: The Third Man. Orson Welles might have been a little unfair on the Swiss, after all cuckoo clocks were developed in the Schwartzwald, but, more importantly, Swiss democracy gives remarkably stable government with considerable decision-making at the local level. The alternative is the battling city-states of Renaissance Italy: culturally rich but chaotic at a higher level of organization. As our understanding of the cell cycle improves, it appears that the cell is organized more along the lines of Switzerland than Renaissance Italy, and one major challenge is to determine how local decisions are made and coordinated to produce the robust cell cycle mechanisms that we observe in the cell as a whole.
CitationThe Renaissance or the cuckoo clock. 2011, 366 (1584):3625-34 Philos Trans R Soc Lond, B, Biol Sci
JournalPhilosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences
- Oscillation sensation.
- Authors: Morgan DO, Roberts JM
- Issue date: 2002 Aug 1
- Spindle assembly checkpoint: the third decade.
- Authors: Musacchio A
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 27
- Identification of human APC10/Doc1 as a subunit of anaphase promoting complex.
- Authors: Kurasawa Y, Todokoro K
- Issue date: 1999 Sep 16
- The anaphase-promoting complex is required in G1 arrested yeast cells to inhibit B-type cyclin accumulation and to prevent uncontrolled entry into S-phase.
- Authors: Irniger S, Nasmyth K
- Issue date: 1997 Jul
- The cyclin-ubiquitin ligase activity of cyclosome/APC is jointly activated by protein kinases Cdk1-cyclin B and Plk.
- Authors: Golan A, Yudkovsky Y, Hershko A
- Issue date: 2002 May 3