The value of FDG positron emission tomography/computerised tomography (PET/CT) in pre-operative staging of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and economic evaluation.
Renehan, Andrew G
AffiliationDepartment of Radiology, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn the UK, colorectal cancer (CRC) is the third most common malignancy (behind lung and breast cancer) with 37,514 cases registered in 2006: around two-thirds (23,384) in the colon and one-third (14,130) in the rectum. Treatment of cancers of the colon can vary considerably, but surgical resection is the mainstay of treatment for curative intent. Following surgical resection, there is a comprehensive assessment of the tumour, it's invasion characteristics and spread (tumour staging). A number of imaging modalities are used in the pre-operative staging of CRCs including; computerised tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging, ultrasound imaging and positron emission tomography (PET). This report examines the role of CT in combination with PET scanning (PET/CT 'hybrid' scan). The research objectives are: to evaluate the diagnostic accuracy and therapeutic impact of fluorine-18-deoxyglucose (FDG) PET/CT for the pre-operative staging of primary, recurrent and metastatic cancer using systematic review methods; undertake probabilistic decision-analytic modelling (using Monte Carlo simulation); and conduct a value of information analysis to help inform whether or not there is potential worth in undertaking further research.
CitationThe value of FDG positron emission tomography/computerised tomography (PET/CT) in pre-operative staging of colorectal cancer: a systematic review and economic evaluation. 2011, 15 (35):1-192, iii-iv Health Technol Assess
JournalHealth Technology Assessment
- Positron emission tomography/computerised tomography imaging in detecting and managing recurrent cervical cancer: systematic review of evidence, elicitation of subjective probabilities and economic modelling.
- Authors: Meads C, Auguste P, Davenport C, Małysiak S, Sundar S, Kowalska M, Zapalska A, Guest P, Thangaratinam S, Martin-Hirsch P, Borowiack E, Barton P, Roberts T, Khan K
- Issue date: 2013 Mar
- Ultrasound, CT, MRI, or PET-CT for staging and re-staging of adults with cutaneous melanoma.
- Authors: Dinnes J, Ferrante di Ruffano L, Takwoingi Y, Cheung ST, Nathan P, Matin RN, Chuchu N, Chan SA, Durack A, Bayliss SE, Gulati A, Patel L, Davenport C, Godfrey K, Subesinghe M, Traill Z, Deeks JJ, Williams HC, Cochrane Skin Cancer Diagnostic Test Accuracy Group.
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 1
- PET-CT for assessing mediastinal lymph node involvement in patients with suspected resectable non-small cell lung cancer.
- Authors: Schmidt-Hansen M, Baldwin DR, Hasler E, Zamora J, Abraira V, Roqué I Figuls M
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 13
- 123I-MIBG scintigraphy and 18F-FDG-PET imaging for diagnosing neuroblastoma.
- Authors: Bleeker G, Tytgat GA, Adam JA, Caron HN, Kremer LC, Hooft L, van Dalen EC
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 29
- An economic evaluation of positron emission tomography (PET) and positron emission tomography/computed tomography (PET/CT) for the diagnosis of breast cancer recurrence.
- Authors: Auguste P, Barton P, Hyde C, Roberts TE
- Issue date: 2011 Apr