Structure of an aprataxin-DNA complex with insights into AOA1 neurodegenerative disease.
AffiliationLaboratory of Structural Biology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, US National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, North Carolina, USA.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDNA ligases finalize DNA replication and repair through DNA nick-sealing reactions that can abort to generate cytotoxic 5'-adenylation DNA damage. Aprataxin (Aptx) catalyzes direct reversal of 5'-adenylate adducts to protect genome integrity. Here the structure of a Schizosaccharomyces pombe Aptx-DNA-AMP-Zn(2+) complex reveals active site and DNA interaction clefts formed by fusing a histidine triad (HIT) nucleotide hydrolase with a DNA minor groove-binding C(2)HE zinc finger (Znf). An Aptx helical 'wedge' interrogates the base stack for sensing DNA ends or DNA nicks. The HIT-Znf, the wedge and an '[F/Y]PK' pivot motif cooperate to distort terminal DNA base-pairing and direct 5'-adenylate into the active site pocket. Structural and mutational data support a wedge-pivot-cut HIT-Znf catalytic mechanism for 5'-adenylate adduct recognition and removal and suggest that mutations affecting protein folding, the active site pocket and the pivot motif underlie Aptx dysfunction in the neurodegenerative disorder ataxia with oculomotor apraxia 1 (AOA1).
CitationStructure of an aprataxin-DNA complex with insights into AOA1 neurodegenerative disease. 2011, 18 (11):1189-95 Nat Struct Mol Biol
JournalNature Structural & Molecular Biology
- Aprataxin resolves adenylated RNA-DNA junctions to maintain genome integrity.
- Authors: Tumbale P, Williams JS, Schellenberg MJ, Kunkel TA, Williams RS
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 6
- Mechanism of APTX nicked DNA sensing and pleiotropic inactivation in neurodegenerative disease.
- Authors: Tumbale P, Schellenberg MJ, Mueller GA, Fairweather E, Watson M, Little JN, Krahn J, Waddell I, London RE, Williams RS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 13
- A novel mutation in the aprataxin (APTX) gene in an Iranian individual suffering early-onset ataxia with oculomotor apraxia type 1(AOA1) disease.
- Authors: Nouri N, Nouri N, Aryani O, Kamalidehghan B, Sedghi M, Houshmand M
- Issue date: 2012
- Early-onset ataxia with ocular motor apraxia and hypoalbuminemia/ataxia with oculomotor apraxia 1.
- Authors: Tada M, Yokoseki A, Sato T, Makifuchi T, Onodera O
- Issue date: 2010
- A novel nonsense mutation in the APTX gene associated with delayed DNA single-strand break removal fails to enhance sensitivity to different genotoxic agents.
- Authors: Crimella C, Cantoni O, Guidarelli A, Vantaggiato C, Martinuzzi A, Fiorani M, Azzolini C, Orso G, Bresolin N, Bassi MT
- Issue date: 2011 Apr