FoxO3A promotes metabolic adaptation to hypoxia by antagonizing Myc function.
AffiliationBiotech Research and Innovation Centre, University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExposure of metazoan organisms to hypoxia engages a metabolic switch orchestrated by the hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF-1). HIF-1 mediates induction of glycolysis and active repression of mitochondrial respiration that reduces oxygen consumption and inhibits the production of potentially harmful reactive oxygen species (ROS). Here, we show that FoxO3A is activated in hypoxia downstream of HIF-1 and mediates the hypoxic repression of a set of nuclear-encoded mitochondrial genes. FoxO3A is required for hypoxic suppression of mitochondrial mass, oxygen consumption, and ROS production and promotes cell survival in hypoxia. FoxO3A is recruited to the promoters of nuclear-encoded mitochondrial genes where it directly antagonizes c-Myc function via a mechanism that does not require binding to the consensus FoxO recognition element. Furthermore, we show that FoxO3A is activated in human hypoxic tumour tissue in vivo and that FoxO3A short-hairpin RNA (shRNA)-expressing xenograft tumours are decreased in size and metabolically changed. Our findings define a novel mechanism by which FoxO3A promotes metabolic adaptation and stress resistance in hypoxia.
CitationFoxO3A promotes metabolic adaptation to hypoxia by antagonizing Myc function. 2011, 30 (22):4554-70 EMBO J
- FOXO3a regulates reactive oxygen metabolism by inhibiting mitochondrial gene expression.
- Authors: Ferber EC, Peck B, Delpuech O, Bell GP, East P, Schulze A
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- FoxO3a modulates hypoxia stress induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in cardiac microvascular endothelial cells.
- Authors: Zhang S, Zhao Y, Xu M, Yu L, Zhao Y, Chen J, Yuan Y, Zheng Q, Niu X
- Issue date: 2013
- Carrot and stick: HIF-alpha engages c-Myc in hypoxic adaptation.
- Authors: Huang LE
- Issue date: 2008 Apr
- FOXO3a orchestrates glioma cell responses to starvation conditions and promotes hypoxia-induced cell death.
- Authors: Brucker DP, Maurer GD, Harter PN, Rieger J, Steinbach JP
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- FOXO3a-dependent up-regulation of Mxi1-0 promotes hypoxia-induced apoptosis in endothelial cells.
- Authors: Hu Z, Wang F, Wu Z, Gu H, Dong N, Jiang X, Xu J, Wu Z, Wechsler DS, Zheng D
- Issue date: 2018 Nov