AffiliationChristie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1020 patients with early breast cancer were treated between March, 1970, and October, 1975, according to a prospective clinical trial. The results have been recorded after a follow-up of two to seven years. 713 cases of clinical stage-1 cancer were randomly allocated to treatment by simple mastectomy and postoperative radiotherapy, or simple mastectomy alone. There was no statistically significant difference in overall survival or in survival without distant metastases between the two groups. There was a significant reduction in the incidence of local recurrence in those who had received early postoperative radiotherapy compared with those who had not. 307 cases of clinical stage-11 cancer were randomly allocated to treatment by simple mastectomy and postoperative radiotherapy or radical mastectomy alone. There was no statistically significant difference in survival or in the incidence of local recurrence or distant metastases between the two groups.
CitationManchester regional breast study. Preliminary results. 1978, 1 (8067):744-7 Lancet
- Manchester regional breast study--5 and 10 year results.
- Authors: Lythgoe JP, Palmer MK
- Issue date: 1982 Dec
- Treatment of early breast cancer.
- Authors: Turnbull AR, Turner DT, Chant AD, Shepherd JM, Buchanan RB, Fraser JD
- Issue date: 1978 Jul 1
- A clinical trial in the management of operable cancer of the breast.
- Authors: Langlands AO, Prescott RJ, Hamilton T
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Breast conserving therapy versus mastectomy for stage I-II breast cancer: 20 year follow-up of the EORTC 10801 phase 3 randomised trial.
- Authors: Litière S, Werutsky G, Fentiman IS, Rutgers E, Christiaens MR, Van Limbergen E, Baaijens MH, Bogaerts J, Bartelink H
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- Local radiotherapy alone following neoadjuvant chemotherapy and surgery in combined clinical stage II and III breast cancer.
- Authors: White R, Dinneen T, Makris A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 26