The use of a realistic VMAT delivery emulator to optimize dynamic machine parameters for improved treatment efficiency.
AffiliationNorth Western Medical Physics, The Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe delivery of volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) requires the simultaneous movement of the linear accelerator gantry, multi-leaf collimators and jaws while the dose rate is varied. In this study, a VMAT delivery emulator was developed to accurately predict the characteristics of a given treatment plan, incorporating realistic parameters for gantry inertia and the variation in leaf speed with respect to gravity. The emulator was used to assess the impact of dynamic machine parameters on the delivery efficiency, using a set of prostate and head and neck VMAT plans. Initially, assuming a VMAT system with fixed dose rate bins, the allowable leaf and jaw speeds were increased and a significant improvement in treatment time and average dose rate was observed. The software was then adapted to simulate a VMAT system with continuously varying dose rate, and the increase in delivery efficiency was quantified, along with the impact of an increased leaf and jaw speed. Finally, a set of optimal dynamic machine parameters was derived assuming an idealized scenario in which the treatment is delivered in a single arc at constant maximum gantry speed.
CitationThe use of a realistic VMAT delivery emulator to optimize dynamic machine parameters for improved treatment efficiency. 2011, 56 (13):4119-33 Phys Med Biol
JournalPhysics in Medicine and Biology
- Dose reconstruction for volumetric modulated arc therapy (VMAT) using cone-beam CT and dynamic log files.
- Authors: Qian J, Lee L, Liu W, Chu K, Mok E, Luxton G, Le QT, Xing L
- Issue date: 2010 Jul 7
- A generalized inverse planning tool for volumetric-modulated arc therapy.
- Authors: Cao D, Afghan MK, Ye J, Chen F, Shepard DM
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 7
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy: planning and evaluation for prostate cancer cases.
- Authors: Zhang P, Happersett L, Hunt M, Jackson A, Zelefsky M, Mageras G
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- Validation of a new control system for Elekta accelerators facilitating continuously variable dose rate.
- Authors: Bertelsen A, Lorenzen EL, Brink C
- Issue date: 2011 Aug
- Volumetric modulated arc therapy for delivery of prostate radiotherapy: comparison with intensity-modulated radiotherapy and three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy.
- Authors: Palma D, Vollans E, James K, Nakano S, Moiseenko V, Shaffer R, McKenzie M, Morris J, Otto K
- Issue date: 2008 Nov 15