Survival and phase sensitivity of HeLa cells treated with dianhydrogalactitol (NSC-132313).
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effect of dianhydrogalactitol on survival and phase sensitivity of the cell cycle of HeLa cells was studied. In survival experiments no cells survived when the drug was added and left in contact with the cells at or above a dose of 0.7 mug/ml. Cells synchronized by the mitotic-selection method showed changing sensitivity to the drug during the cell cycle. G, late-S, and M phases were more sensitive to dianhydrogalactitol than the early-S and G phases. The DNA synthetic phase was divided into an early low sensitive and a late highly sensitive stage. The different sensitivity of mid-G and early-S phases was further established in separate survival experiments. Cells treated in G phase entered M phase in a manner similar to untreated control cells, while the progress of cells in S or G phase during treatment was delayed significantly. Lack of phase specificity of this drug is consistent with that of other alkylating agents. Changing sensitivity during some phases of the cell cycle proves that some metabolic events are especially sensitive to this particular drug.
CitationSurvival and phase sensitivity of HeLa cells treated with dianhydrogalactitol (NSC-132313)., 59 (3):493-9 Cancer Chemother Rep
JournalCancer Chemotherapy Reports
- Pharmacologic and antitumor effects of 1,2:5,6-dianhydrogalactitol (NSC-132313).
- Authors: Németh L, Institóris L, Somfai S, Gál F, Pályi I, Sugár J, Csuka O, Szentirmay Z, Kellner B
- Issue date: 1972 Oct
- Cell killing, kinetics, and recovery responses induced by 1,2:5,6-dianhydrogalactitol in dividing and nondividiing cells in vitro.
- Authors: Barranco SC, Flournoy DR
- Issue date: 1977 Mar
- Perturbed cell kinetics of 9L rat brain tumor cells following dianhydrogalactitol.
- Authors: Nomura K, Hoshino T, Deen DF, Knebel KD
- Issue date: 1978 Dec
- Inactivation of the DNA template in HeLa cells treated with chlorambucil.
- Authors: Roberts JJ
- Issue date: 1975 Jul 15
- [Comparative analysis of the effect of alkylating agents, ionizing and ultraviolet radiations on the progression of mammalian cells through the mitotic cycle. 1. Effect of N-methyl-N'-nitro-N-nitrosoguanidine on the passage of HeLa cells through different phases of the cycle].
- Authors: Belostotskaia GB, Malinovskiĭ OV
- Issue date: 1982 Nov-Dec