An electron microscope study of mitochondrial DNA in spontaneous human tumours and chemically induced animal tumours.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMtDNA was extracted by a phenol method from transplanted and primary DAB induced hepatomata in male Wistar rats, normal rat liver, spontaneous human tumours (2 Wilm's tumours, one neuroblastoma and one adrenal carcinoma), as well as 2 specimens of normal human kidney, BNU induced "leukaemias" in mice and CHO fibroblasts in monolayer culture. The proportion of monomers, catenated dimers and oligomers, open dimers and small circles was determined by electron microscopy of the fractions comprising lower and middle DNA bands in a CsCl-EthBr gradient. Tumours were compared where possible with their normal tissue of origin. Open dimers were found in 2 Wilm's tumours and their attached "normal-looking" kidney tissue but not in normal, non-malignant kidney or any other tissue studied. In Wilm's tumours, the occurrence of open dimers is far from being an all-or-none phenomenon. Malignancy produced little change in the relative proportions of catenated dimers and oligomers in the tissues studied. Small circles were found associated with mtDNA from every tissue. Tumour mtDNA was not more heterogeneous in length than monomers from the corresponding normal tissue, neither was the mean length of tumour mtDNA significantly different from its corresponding normal mtDNA.
CitationAn electron microscope study of mitochondrial DNA in spontaneous human tumours and chemically induced animal tumours. 1974, 29 (6):447-61 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
PubMed Central IDPMC2009120
- Physicochemical characterization of Novikoff hepatoma mitochondrial DNA.
- Authors: White MT, Wagner EK, Tewari KK
- Issue date: 1975 Apr
- Single strand-containing replicating molecules of circular mitochondrial DNA.
- Authors: Wolstenholme DR, Koike K, Cochran-Fouts P
- Issue date: 1973 Jan
- Estimation of tissue DNA content in Wilm's tumour.
- Authors: Sharma SP, Gopal SC, Gangopadhyay AN, Gupta DK, Chansuria JP
- Issue date: 1994 Jul-Aug
- Changes in mitochondrial DNA in cardiac hypertrophy in the rat.
- Authors: Rajamanickam C, Merten S, Kwiatkowska-Patzer B, Chuang CH, Zak R, Rabinowitz M
- Issue date: 1979 Oct
- Buoyant densities of mitochondrial DNA from tumour and normal tissues.
- Authors: Wunderlich V, Böttger M
- Issue date: 1973 May