Computed tomography of abdomen in staging and clinical management of lymphoma.
AuthorsBest, J J
Forbes, W S
Todd, Ian D
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring July 1976 to Demember 1977, 150 patients with Hodgkin's disease and 138 with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma were examined by computed tomography (CT). In 45 cases 50 repeat examinations were conducted. Concurrent laparotomy and lymphography were performed on 68 and 56 patients respectively. The overall incidence of false-positive CT examinations as confirmed by laparotomy was 7.4%. In 18 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in the abdomen there was good correlation between the two techniques. Of the 50 patients with Hodgkin's disease who underwent laparotomy, 17 had splenic disease and 14 minimally enlarged lymph nodes in 20 areas; CT, however, detected only four diseased spleens and five minimally enlarged lymph nodes. Nevertheless, CT often detected enlarged lymph nodes missed by lymphography and was 23% more efficient than lymphography in detecting unsuspected disease. CT also detected unsuspected disease in patients with relapse of lymphoma. CT may replace other non-invasive investigations of abdominal disease in patients with lymphoma and give a reliable guide to prognosis. It does not, however, eliminate the need for laparotomy in staging Hodgkin's disease.
CitationComputed tomography of abdomen in staging and clinical management of lymphoma. 1978, 2 (6153):1675-7 Br Med J
JournalBritish Medical Journal
- Computed tomography (CT) in the staging of patients with Hodgkin's Disease: a report on 136 patients.
- Authors: Blackledge G, Best JJ, Crowther D, Isherwood I
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Predictive value of lymphography for sites of subdiaphragmatic disease encountered at staging laparotomy in newly diagnosed Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
- Authors: Castellino RA, Dunnick NR, Goffinet DR, Rosenberg SR, Kaplan HS
- Issue date: 1983 Sep
- Lymphography as a guide during laparotomy in Hodgkin's and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas.
- Authors: Cotman HE, Bloomfield CD, Amplatz K, Sosin H, Kuisk H, Levitt SH
- Issue date: 1977 Aug
- Lymphography and abdominal computed tomography in staging Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Strijk SP, Boetes C, Rosenbusch G, Ruijs JH
- Issue date: 1987 Mar
- Computerised tomographic (CT) abdominal scanning in Hodgkin's disease.
- Authors: Earl HM, Sutcliffe SB, Fry IK, Tucker AK, Young J, Husband J, Wrigley PF, Malpas JS
- Issue date: 1980 Mar