Studies on the uptake of 2-deoxy-d-glucose in normal and malignant rat epithelial liver cells in culture.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe rate of uptake of 2-deoxyglucose in normal rat hepatic cells and chemically induced hepatoma cells in culture was studied. The hepatoma cells possessed a higher permeability to the sugar at all stages of culture. However, a decrease in the uptake of 2-deoxyglucose at confluency was observed in cells which exhibited density-dependent inhibition of growth, whether normal or malignant. The normal cells in mitosis showed an increased permeability to the sugar, whereas no such change was observed in the hepatoma cells. The kinetic studies of 2-deoxyglucose transport in normal and transformed rat liver showed a positive correlation between the increase in Vmax and the transformed state of the cells, whether they were transformed in vitro or in vivo. No changes in the apparent Km were found, indicating that there are no qualitative changes in the transport sites. The results suggest that an increase in the number of sites involved in glucose transport is a characteristic of chemically transformed rat liver epithelial cells.
CitationStudies on the uptake of 2-deoxy-d-glucose in normal and malignant rat epithelial liver cells in culture. 1975, 15 (5):773-80 Int. J. Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- The inhibitory effects of horse anti-rat AFP antiserum on the uptake of 2-deoxy-D-glucose by AFP-producing rat hepatoma cells.
- Authors: Ohkawa K, Tsukada Y, Hibi N, Hirai H
- Issue date: 1984 Apr 15
- Transport of sugars in chick-embryo fibroblasts. Evidence for a low-affinity system and a high-affinity system for glucose transport.
- Authors: Christopher CW, Kohlbacher MS, Amos H
- Issue date: 1976 Aug 15
- Cyclic AMP, membrane transport and cell division. I. Effects of various chemicals on cyclic AMP levels and rate of transport of neucleosides, hypoxanthine and deoxyglucose in several lines of cultured cells.
- Authors: Sheppard JR, Plagemann PG
- Issue date: 1975 Apr
- Deoxyglucose and 3-O-methylglucose transport in untreated and ATP-depleted Novikoff rat hepatoma cells. Analysis by a rapid kinetic technique, relationship to phosphorylation and effects of inhibitors.
- Authors: Graff JC, Wohlhueter RM, Plagemann PG
- Issue date: 1978 Aug
- Studies on the effects of in vitro ageing on saturable and nonsaturable sugar uptake in cultured human skin fibroblasts.
- Authors: Germinario RJ, Oliveira M, Taylor M
- Issue date: 1980