AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractChromatography on a DEAE-cellulose (DE-52) column of native and denatured DNA from P388F cells has been studied. The main bulk of native DNA is eluted at 0.8M NaC1 and a minor fraction is eluted with 0.5N NaOH. The proportion of the DNA components obtained depends on the type of isotopic labelling used and the method of storing of the DNA preparation following isolation. Heat-denatured DNA elutes in 2 M NaC1 mainly within the pH gradient form 0.1 M NH4OH. When native DNA is chromatographed on DEAE-cellulose, a small fraction of the DNA elutes at 0.5 N NaOH. This fraction is double-stranded, as determined by hydroxyapatite chromatography. A similar component predominates, however, when "newly synthesised" DNA is fracionated. The profiles obtained with "newly synthesised" and "template" labelled DNA differ in their undenatured and heat-denatured configurations. The presence of formaldehyde during the chromatography of undenatured DNA leads to an increased homogeneity of the profile and during heat denaturation considerable modifications to the profile are observed. Some of the changes can be explained in terms of a decrease in the heterogeneity of the charge distribution on the DNA. The technique appears to combine a high degree of reproducibility with sensitivity to charge clustering along the DNA.
CitationFractionation of mammalian DNA on deae-cellulose. 1975, 107 (1):125-40 J. Chromatogr.
JournalJournal of Chromatography
- Replication of the parvovirus MVM. II. Isolation and characterization of intermediates in the replication of the viral deoxyribonucleic acid.
- Authors: Tattersall P, Crawford LV, Shatkin AJ
- Issue date: 1973 Dec
- Hydroxyapatite chromatography and formamide denaturation of adenovirus DNA.
- Authors: Tibbetts C, Johansson K, Philipson L
- Issue date: 1973 Aug
- Structural defects in rat liver deoxyribonucleic acid. Endogenous single-strained regions in comparison with damage induced in vivo by a carcinogen.
- Authors: Stewart BW, Huang PH, Brian MJ
- Issue date: 1979 May 1
- Action of the single-stranded DNA specific nuclease S1 on double-stranded DNA.
- Authors: Godson GN
- Issue date: 1973 Apr 21
- Isolation and properties of a rapidly renaturing fraction of mammalian DNA.
- Authors: Brahic M, Fraser MJ
- Issue date: 1971 Jun 17