Serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit, hormone receptors and disease stage in patients with breast cancer.
AuthorsMacFarlane, I A
Howat, J M
Beardwell, Colin G
Sellwood, R A
AffiliationDepartment of Endocrinology, Christie Hospital, Manchester, UK.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe concentration of the common alpha subunit of the glycoprotein hormones was high in the serum of 21/56 (38%) of premenopausal patients and 22/106 (21%) of postmenopausal patients with primary breast cancer, at the time of presentation. 7/59 (12%) of patients with benign disease also had high alpha subunit levels. Tumour cytosol oestrogen and progesterone receptor status was determined in 80% of the patients with cancer, and there was a trend towards higher alpha levels in patients without receptors, but this was not statistically significant. In the premenopausal patients with cancer there was a significant correlation between alpha subunit level and disease stage, R = 0.47, P = 0.0001, but not in the postmenopausal patients. In view of the correlation with disease stage, high levels of alpha subunit in premenopausal patients with breast cancer at presentation with the primary tumour may indicate poor prognosis.
CitationSerum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit, hormone receptors and disease stage in patients with breast cancer. 1980, 42 (5):645-50 Br. J. Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
PubMed Central IDPMC2010551
- Discordant elevation of the common alpha-subunit of the glycoprotein hormones compared to beta-subunits in serum of uremic patients.
- Authors: Blackman MR, Weintraub BD, Kourides IA, Solano JT, Santner T, Rosen SW
- Issue date: 1981 Jul
- Serum glycoprotein hormone alpha subunit levels in patients with cancer.
- Authors: Braunstein GD, Forsythe AB, Rasor JL, Van Scoy-Mosher MB, Thompson RW, Wade ME
- Issue date: 1979 Nov
- Alpha subunit and human chorionic gonadotropin in normal pregnancy and gestational trophoblastic disease.
- Authors: Elegbe RA, Pattillo RA, Hussa RO, Hoffmann RG, Damole IO, Finlayson WE
- Issue date: 1984 Mar
- [Hormonal balance during labor. II. Changes in the levels of HCG, alpha HCG, beta HCG, LH, FSH and HPL].
- Authors: Penev I, Milanov S, Milkov V
- Issue date: 1987
- Pituitary glycoprotein hormone alpha-subunit secretion after thyrotropin-releasing hormone stimulation in normal men and men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.
- Authors: Winters SJ, Troen P
- Issue date: 1990 Feb