AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLeucocytes from 22 out of 26 patients with mammary carcinoma were significantly cytotoxic in vitro for cells cultured from mammary tumours though only two out of 17 of these preparations were cytotoxic for cells cultured from tumours arising at other sites. In the immediate postoperative period reactivity of patients' leucocytes with mammary tumour cells was undetectable but returned within one week of surgery. Leucocyte cytotoxicity may therefore offer a model in which the mechanism of postoperative depression of immunological competence may be investigated.
CitationEffect of surgery on tumour-directed leucocyte responses. 1975, 1 (5949):56-8 Br Med J
JournalBritish Medical Journal
- Cell-mediated cytotoxicity to human pulmonary neoplasms.
- Authors: Vose BM, Moore M, Jack GD
- Issue date: 1975 Feb 15
- Detection of anti-tumour cell mediated immunity and serum blocking factors in cancer patients by the leucocyte adherence inhibition test.
- Authors: Halliday WJ, Maluish A, Isbister WH
- Issue date: 1974 Jan
- Postoperative depression of tumour-directed cell-mediated immunity in patients with malignant disease.
- Authors: Cochran AJ, Spilg WG, Mackie RM, Thomas CE
- Issue date: 1972 Oct 14
- Proceedings: effect of surgery under anaesthesia on tumour-directed leucocyte responses.
- Authors: Moudgil GC, Vose BM
- Issue date: 1975 May
- Evaluation of leucocyte functions six years after tumour autograft in human mammary cancer.
- Authors: Anderson JM, Kelly F, Wood SE, Rodger KD, Freshney RI
- Issue date: 1973 Aug