Value of routine serum-triiodothyronine estimation in diagnosis of thyrotoxicosis.
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThyroid-stimulating hormone (T.S.H.), triiodothyronine (T3), and thyroxine (T4) concentrations were estimated on 432 blood specimens from patients with a provisional diagnosis of thyrotoxicosis. 59 patients had a raised serum T3 concentration with T.S.H. and T4 levels in the normal range. Further information was obtained in 41 of these patients, and T3 toxicosis was diagnosed in 17 cases, thus providing a projected total of 24 patients with T3 toxicosis. In addition, there were 56 patients, with more common biochemical features of thyrotoxicosis, having both a raised serum T3 and T4 concentration. Therefore 30% of the patients considered thyrotoxic in this retrospective survey were only diagnosed with the aid of a serum-T3 estimation.
CitationValue of routine serum-triiodothyronine estimation in diagnosis of thyrotoxicosis. 1975, 2 (7943):1008-10 Lancet
- The clinical evaluation of patients with subclinical hyperthyroidism and free triiodothyronine (free T3) toxicosis.
- Authors: Figge J, Leinung M, Goodman AD, Izquierdo R, Mydosh T, Gates S, Line B, Lee DW
- Issue date: 1994 Mar
- Serum ratio of triiodothyronine to thyroxine, and thyroxine-binding globulin and calcitonin concentrations in Graves' disease and destruction-induced thyrotoxicosis.
- Authors: Amino N, Yabu Y, Miki T, Morimoto S, Kumahara Y, Mori H, Iwatani Y, Nishi K, Nakatani K, Miyai K
- Issue date: 1981 Jul
- Serum thyroxine and triiodothyronine responses of hyperthyroid cats to thyrotropin.
- Authors: Mooney CT, Thoday KL, Doxey DL
- Issue date: 1996 Jul
- [In vitro diagnosis of T3 thyrotoxicosis].
- Authors: Semenov VD
- Issue date: 1983 Jun
- Serum free thyroxine in patients with T3-toxicosis.
- Authors: Martino E, Pacchiarotti A, Aghini-Lombardi F, Grasso L, Bambini G, Baschieri L, Pinchera A
- Issue date: 1985 Nov