Clinical pharmacology of tamoxifen and N-desmethyltamoxifen in patients with advanced breast cancer.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSerum concentrations of tamoxifen and its metabolite, N-desmethyltamoxifen (DMT) were determined in six post-menopausal patients with advanced breast cancer. Following a single 10-mg dose PO parent drug was detected in the serum, with a peak concentration of 17.5 ng/ml. Concentrations of the N-desmethyl metabolite were below the limit of detection (less than 2.5 ng/ml). After 21 days' oral therapy with 10 mg b.i.d. the serum concentration of tamoxifen had increased ten fold, while DMT was now present in comparable amounts. Two patients were further studied for a longer time period. There was little change in the serum concentration of tamoxifen, while the DMT increased two fold above its value at 21 days.
CitationClinical pharmacology of tamoxifen and N-desmethyltamoxifen in patients with advanced breast cancer. 1980, 5 (2):109-11 Cancer Chemother Pharmacol
JournalCancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
- Implications of tamoxifen metabolism in the athymic mouse for the study of antitumor effects upon human breast cancer xenografts.
- Authors: Robinson SP, Langan-Fahey SM, Jordan VC
- Issue date: 1989 Dec
- Effect of oestrogen receptor status and time on the intra-tumoural accumulation of tamoxifen and N-desmethyltamoxifen following short-term therapy in human primary breast cancer.
- Authors: Johnston SR, Haynes BP, Sacks NP, McKinna JA, Griggs LJ, Jarman M, Baum M, Smith IE, Dowsett M
- Issue date: 1993 Dec
- Comparative binding affinities of tamoxifen, 4-hydroxytamoxifen, and desmethyltamoxifen for estrogen receptors isolated from human breast carcinoma: correlation with blood levels in patients with metastatic breast cancer.
- Authors: Fabian C, Tilzer L, Sternson L
- Issue date: 1981 Oct-Dec
- The steady-state pharmacokinetics of tamoxifen and its metabolites in breast cancer patients.
- Authors: Soininen K, Kleimola T, Elomaa I, Salmo M, Rissanen P
- Issue date: 1986
- Determination and pharmacology of a new hydroxylated metabolite of tamoxifen observed in patient sera during therapy for advanced breast cancer.
- Authors: Jordan VC, Bain RR, Brown RR, Gosden B, Santos MA
- Issue date: 1983 Mar