Comparative studies of the hepatocarcinogen N,N-dimethylnitrosamine in vivo: reaction sites in rat liver DNA and the significance of their relative stabilities.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe reaction of the hepatocarcinogen N,N-dimethylnitrosamine has been compared with that of methyl methanesulphonate, a methylating agent which is not a liver carcinogen. Consistent differences have been observed in the reaction of rat liver DNA in vivo with these agents; O(6)-alkylation and the production of unidentified acid-labile products were distinctive features of the reaction with the carcinogenic nitroso compound but were undetectable or in low yield, respectively, after reaction with the alkyl sulphonate. Evidence has been obtained for the excision of these reaction products in animals treated with the hepatocarcinogen and the significance of their relative stabilities is discussed.
CitationComparative studies of the hepatocarcinogen N,N-dimethylnitrosamine in vivo: reaction sites in rat liver DNA and the significance of their relative stabilities. 1973, 27 (2):153-66 Br J Cancer
JournalBritish Journal of Cancer
PubMed Central IDPMC2008841
- The stability of rat liver ribonucleic acid in vivo after methylation with methyl methanesulphonate or dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: McElhone MJ, O'Connor PJ, Craig AW
- Issue date: 1971 Dec
- Differences in the patterns of methylation in rat liver ribosomal ribonucleic acid after reaction in vivo with methyl methanesulphonate and NN-dimethylnitrosamine.
- Authors: O'Connor PJ, Capps MJ, Craig AW, Lawley PD, Shah SA
- Issue date: 1972 Sep
- Methylation of nuclear proteins by dimethylnitrosamine and by methionine in the rat in vivo.
- Authors: Turberville C, Craddock VM
- Issue date: 1971 Oct
- Nitrosamine-induced carcinogenesis. The alklylation of nucleic acids of the rat by N-methyl-N-nitrosourea, dimethylnitrosamine, dimethyl sulphate and methyl methanesulphonate.
- Authors: Swann PF, Magee PN
- Issue date: 1968 Nov
- Effect of administration of the carcinogen dimethylnitrosamine on urinary 7-methylguanine.
- Authors: Craddock VM, Magee PN
- Issue date: 1967 Aug