Conditional expression of the transformed phenotype in an "epithelial-like" cell line.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA subclone of ts 14/MNU/2, derived from a heteroploid (epithelial) monkey kidney cell line of BSC-1 and transformed in vitro by methylnitrosourea, expressed the transformed phenotype only at the elevated temperature of 39.5(0)C. Compared to the growth characteristics at 33(0)C, the transformed property was exhibited in the (1) high efficiency of plating at low cell densities, (2) colony morphology, (3) growth in absence of serum and (4) alterations in the quality and the quantity of chromosomal proteins in presence of low concentrations of serum. Such experimental systems may provide an effective control for studying molecular mechanisms related to transformation and neoplasia.
CitationConditional expression of the transformed phenotype in an "epithelial-like" cell line. 1979, 3 (5):421-30 Cell Biol Int Rep
JournalCell Biology International Reports
- Malignant transformation of BHK21 clone 13 cells in vitro by nitrosamines--a conditional state.
- Authors: Di Mayorca G, Greenblatt M, Trauthen T, Soller A, Giordano R
- Issue date: 1973 Jan
- Isolation of heat- and cold-sensitive mutants of chinese hamster lung cells affected in their ability to express the transformed state.
- Authors: Miyashita K, Kakunaga T
- Issue date: 1975 Jun
- Molecular mechanism of in vitro transformation of mammalian cells by chemical carcinogens.
- Authors: di Mayorca G, Mishra N, Kimball P
- Issue date: 1975
- Temperature sensitive cells in the study of carcinogenic transformation.
- Authors: Naha PM
- Issue date: 1975 Mar
- On the theory of clonal selection in carcinogenic transformation.
- Authors: Naha PM, Ashworth M
- Issue date: 1974 Nov