Role of purified erythropoietin in the amplification of the erythroid compartment.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA single dose of Myleran induced a prolonged depletion of multi-potential haemopoietic cells and of early erythroid precursors to levels between 2 and 6 of control. In these mice, a priming dose of highly purified erythropoietin (Epo) or of any of 3 Epo preparations from different sources, and having different specific activities, increased the magnitude of the response to a test dose of Epo by erythropoietin responsive cells (ERC) in the hypertransfused mouse assay. As significant feeding into the ERC compartment from the most immature cells is unlikely because of the depletion induced by the Myleran, it may be concluded that highly purified Epo, not contaminated with other biologically active molecules, has a dual effect on the ERC: it causes increased amplification besides inducing differentiation into cells with the capacity to synthesize haemoglobin.
CitationRole of purified erythropoietin in the amplification of the erythroid compartment. 1980, 8 Suppl 8:144-52 Exp Hematol
- Incapacity of hematopoietic stem cell-deprived mice to produce tumor colonies induced by Friend virus-infected cells.
- Authors: Wendling F, Tambourin P, Moreau-Gachelin F
- Issue date: 1978 Nov
- Inhibition by dexamethasone of erythropoietin-induced amplification of the erythropoietin-responsive cell compartment.
- Authors: Giglio MJ, Alippi RM, Bozzini CE
- Issue date: 1981 Apr
- Regeneration of erythroid committed precursor cells in polycythaemic mice treated with cyclophosphamide.
- Authors: Milenković P, Pavlović-Kentera V
- Issue date: 1980 Jan
- Target cell of the polycythemia-inducing Friend virus: studies with myleran.
- Authors: Fredrickson T, Tambourin P, Wendling F, Jasmin C, Smajda F
- Issue date: 1975 Aug
- Studies on erythroid-committed precursor cells in the polycythaemic mouse.
- Authors: von Wangenheim HR, Schofield R, Kyffin S, Klein B
- Issue date: 1977 Dec