Modulation of target cell susceptibility to human natural killer cells by interferon.
AffiliationImmunology Division, Paterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester M20 9BX, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe spontaneous cytolytic activity of human peripheral blood lymphocytes in a short-term 51chromium release assay was markedly enhanced by pretreatment with partially purified "Namalva" lymphoblastoid (type I) interferon (IF), provided that the target cells, five lymphoblastoid cell lines of variable natural killer (NK) sensitivity (K562, Molt 4, CCRF/CEM, Raji and Bri8), were not similarly treated with IF. When the targets were pre-exposed to comparable concentrations of IF, their susceptibility to lysis by IF-stimulated or unstimulated effectors was diminished, while exposure of both effectors and targets to IF for the duration of the cytotoxicity assay produced levels of cytotoxicity intermediate between those obtained when either effectors or targets were pretreated. The results indicate that, depending on the experimental design. IF is capable of exerting a protective effect on certain targets, a conclusion supported by competition assays wherein IF-treated cold K562 cells competed less successfully than untreated cold K562 cells for lysis of their radiolabelled counterparts by both IF-stimulated and unstimulated effectors. The data suggest that certain lymphoblastoid targets, in common with effector lymphocytes, possess receptors for IF. Some possible biological implications of the protective interaction of IF with tumour targets, which is antagonistic to that on effector cells, are discussed.
CitationModulation of target cell susceptibility to human natural killer cells by interferon. 1980, 25 (5):565-72 Int J Cancer
JournalInternational Journal of Cancer
- Enhancement of human natural cell-mediated cytotoxicity by interferon.
- Authors: Moore M, Potter MR
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Natural cytotoxicity of human blood monocytes and natural killer cells and their cytotoxic factors: discriminating effects of actinomycin D.
- Authors: Uchida A, Klein E
- Issue date: 1985 May 15
- Natural cytotoxicity of human blood lymphocytes and monocytes and their cytotoxic factors: effect of interferon on target cell susceptibility.
- Authors: Uchida A, Vánky F, Klein E
- Issue date: 1985 Nov
- Natural killer activity of lymphoid cells isolated from human ascitic ovarian tumors.
- Authors: Mantovani A, Allavena P, Sessa C, Bolis G, Mangioni C
- Issue date: 1980 May 15
- Lysis of human B-lymphocyte-derived lymphoma/leukemia cells of established cell lines by interferon-activated natural killer (NK) cells.
- Authors: Pattengale PK, Gidlund M, Nilsson K, Sundström C, Orn A, Wigzell H
- Issue date: 1981 Oct 15