The regulation of haemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures: I. role of L-cell CSF.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester, England
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe effects of L-cell conditioned medium which contains granulocyte/macrophage colony stimulating factor (CSF); of highly purified L-cell CSF; and the antiserum directed against L-cell CSF, have been investigated in long-term murine bone marrow cultures. Treatment of cultures with CSF containing conditioned medium led to a rapid decline in haemopoiesis. However, this inhibition of in vitro haemopoiesis is probably caused by materials other than CSF, since the addition of highly purified L-cell CSF had no appreciable effect upon long-term haemopoietic cell proliferation or differentiation. Furthermore, the inhibitory activity of L-cell conditioned medium was not abrogated following neutralization of the CSF activity by CSF antiserum. The direct addition of CSF antiserum did not inhibit granulocyte or macrophage formation. These results suggest that long-term cultures of murine marrow cells may show extensive interactions with stromal cells which are not influenced by exogenous stimulatory or inhibitory factors.
CitationThe regulation of haemopoiesis in long-term bone marrow cultures: I. role of L-cell CSF. 1980, 102 (3):279-86 J Cell Physiol
JournalJournal of Cellular Physiology
- The effect of mouse lung granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor and other colony-stimulating activities on the proliferation and differentiation of murine bone marrow cells in long-term cultures.
- Authors: Williams N, Burgess AW
- Issue date: 1980 Mar
- Role of the stromal cells in the regulation of granulopoiesis in long-term bone marrow culture: effects of conditioning medium on granulopoiesis "in vitro".
- Authors: Miyanomae T, Tsurusawa M, Fujita J, Mori KJ
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- IL-1 inhibits B cell differentiation in long term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Dorshkind K
- Issue date: 1988 Jul 15
- Identification of the hematopoietic growth factors elaborated by bone marrow stromal cells using antibody neutralization analysis.
- Authors: Gualtieri RJ, Liang CM, Shadduck RK, Waheed A, Banks J
- Issue date: 1987 Sep
- Granulopoietic effects of factors produced by cultured human bone marrow fibroblastoid cells.
- Authors: Gordon MY
- Issue date: 1982