Testicular function following irradiation of the human prepubertal testis.
AffiliationChristie Hospital, Withington, Manchester, M20 4BX, UK
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTesticular function was studied in ten men, aged between 17 and 36 years, who had received irradiation for a nephroblastoma during childhood. The dose of scattered irradiation to the testes ranged from 268 to 983 rad. Eight subjects had either oligo- or azoospermia (0 to 5.6 million/ml), seven of whom had an elevated serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) level. One subject showed evidence of Leydig cell dysfunction with a raised serum luteinizing hormone level (LH) and a low plasma testosterone concentration. A second group of eight prepubertal males, aged between 8 and 14 years, were studied. These had also been irradiated for abdominal malignancies during childhood and received a similar dose of irradiation to the testis as the first group studied. The plasma testosterone levels were within the normal range for prepubertal boys in all eight. The mean gonadotrophin levels were not significantly different from the mean levels of normal prepubertal males. Thus irradiation-induced damage to the germinal epithelium in prepubertal boys produces raised FSH levels after puberty but not before it. We conclude, therefore, that inhibition has a minor role in the control of the prepubertal hypothalamic-pituitary testicular axis and its contribution to gonadal control of gonadotrophin secretion changes with sexual maturation.
CitationTesticular function following irradiation of the human prepubertal testis. 1978, 9 (6):483-90 Clin Endocrinol
- Testicular function after combination chemotherapy in childhood for acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Shalet SM, Hann IM, Lendon M, Morris Jones PH, Beardwell CG
- Issue date: 1981 Apr
- Gonadal control of pulsatile secretion of luteinizing hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone in prepubertal boys evaluated by ultrasensitive time-resolved immunofluorometric assays.
- Authors: Dunkel L, Alfthan H, Stenman UH, Perheentupa J
- Issue date: 1990 Jan
- The effect of testicular irradiation on Leydig cell function in prepubertal boys with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia.
- Authors: Leiper AD, Grant DB, Chessells JM
- Issue date: 1983 Nov
- Gonadal effects of chlorambucil given to prepubertal and pubertal boys for nephrotic syndrome.
- Authors: Guesry P, Lenoir G, Broyer M
- Issue date: 1978 Feb
- Pituitary and gonadal function in prepubertal and pubertal cryptorchidism.
- Authors: Okuyama A, Itatani H, Mizutani S, Sonoda T, Aono T, Matsumoto K
- Issue date: 1980 Dec