AuthorsLucraft, Helen H
AffiliationChristie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe records of 40 children treated for ovarian tumours in Manchester since 1940 are reviewed. The series includes 12 dysgerminomas, nine endodermal sinus tumours, six malignant teratomas, three granulosa theca cell tumours, one Sertoli-Leydig cell tumour, one mixed chorioncarcinoma/dysgerminoma and eight cases of non-germ cell or uncertain origin. Presenting features and treatment are discussed. Survival is generally poor apart from the dysgerminomas, granulosa theca and Sertoli-Leydig cell tumours, all but one of whom are alive and disease free. The need for routine post-operative radiotherapy in cases in dysgerminoma confined to one ovary following total resection is questioned. Combination chemotherapy may improve survival in the future, particularly of children with endodermal sinus tumour. The only surviving child other than those mentioned above has had combination chemotherapy for an endodermal sinus tumour.
CitationOvarian tumours in children--a review of 40 cases. 1979, 30 (3):279-85 Clin Radiol
- Malignant ovarian tumours in childhood in Britain, 1962-78.
- Authors: La Vecchia C, Morris HB, Draper GJ
- Issue date: 1983 Sep
- [Germinal cell tumors in young and adolescent girls].
- Authors: Rzepka-Górska I, Błogowska A, Zajaczek S, Zielińska D
- Issue date: 2003 Sep
- Malignant ovarian germ cell tumours: experience in the National University Hospital of Singapore.
- Authors: Lim FK, Chanrachakul B, Chong SM, Ratnam SS
- Issue date: 1998 Sep
- Survival and reproductive function after treatment of malignant germ cell ovarian tumors.
- Authors: Zanetta G, Bonazzi C, Cantù M, Binidagger S, Locatelli A, Bratina G, Mangioni C
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 15
- Treatment of malignant ovarian germ cell tumors and preservation of fertility.
- Authors: Zhang R, Sun YC, Zhang GY, Wu LY, Zuo J
- Issue date: 2012