Induction of PHA response in mouse bone marrow cells by thymic extracts as studied by changes in the structuredness of cytoplasmic matrix.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe specificity and cross-species activity of thymic extracts and some non-specific agents on some alleged properties of T cells and their precursors in the bone marrow cells of normal, nude and thymectomized mice was studied in vitro. The phenomenon of changes in the structuredness of cytoplasmic matrix (SCM) was used to assess the maturation and responses of cells treated with the extracts to mitogens, i.e. phytohaemagglutinin and concanavalin A. We found that thymic extracts of calf and mouse origin induce functional 'maturation' which can be abrogated by cycloheximide, an inhibitor of protein synthesis. The nonspecific agents used (spleen extracts, PPD, dBcAMP and endotoxin) had no effect on bone marrow cells, as measured by changes in the SCM. The method of measuring SCM using the technique of fluorescence polarization is described.
CitationInduction of PHA response in mouse bone marrow cells by thymic extracts as studied by changes in the structuredness of cytoplasmic matrix. 1975, 29 (5):885-91 Immunology
- Evidence for an abnormal microenvironment in the thymus of New Zealand black mice.
- Authors: Dauphinée MJ, Palmer DW, Talal N
- Issue date: 1975 Oct
- Release of colony-stimulating activity from thymus-derived lymphocytes.
- Authors: Ruscetti FW, Chervenick PA
- Issue date: 1975 Mar
- Stimulatory effect of a calf thymic extract on the PHA responsiveness of bone marrow cells.
- Authors: Florentin I, Kiger N
- Issue date: 1972 Jun-Jul
- Evaluation of reconstitution of immunodeficient mice by partially purified thymic extracts.
- Authors: Splitter GA, McGuire TC, Davis WC
- Issue date: 1978 Apr
- Immunological activities of rat lymphocytes. I. Mitogenic responses and surface markers of lymphocytes from normal, thymectomized and B rats.
- Authors: Roy R, McNicoll J, Daguillard F
- Issue date: 1976