Production of stem cell proliferation stimulators and inhibitors by haemopoietic cell suspensions.
AffiliationPaterson Laboratories, Christie Hospital and Holt Radium Institute, Manchester.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn mice treated with phenylhydrazine haemopoietic spleen colony forming cells (CFU-S) are proliferating rapidly in the bone marrow but not in the spleen. Using such mice we have investigated the production of factors responsible for the control of CFU-S proliferation. When irradiated spleen cells are incubated with non-irradiated bone marrow cells there is a marked fall in the proportion of femoral CFU-S in DNA synthesis. In the converse experiments, rapid triggering of splenic CFU-S is achieved. Both these effects can be eliminated by washing the irradiated cells prior to incubation; they are, however, retained in the supernatant media "conditioned" by these cells. When the washed cells are incubated in fresh medium at 37 degrees C both stimulatory and inhibitory activities reappear but after different incubation periods. The data demonstrate that both proliferation stimulatory and inhibitory factors acting on CFU-S can be produced by the same haemopoietic cell suspension.
CitationProduction of stem cell proliferation stimulators and inhibitors by haemopoietic cell suspensions., 28 (3):156-60 Biomedicine
- Regulation of CFU-S proliferation by locally produced endogenous factors.
- Authors: Wright EG, Lord BI
- Issue date: 1977 Jul
- Mechanisms of haemopoietic stem cell proliferation control.
- Authors: Wright EG, Lord BI, Dexter TM, Lajtha LG
- Issue date: 1979 Jun 15
- Stimulatory effects of granulocyte colony-stimulating factor on colony-forming units-spleen (CFU-S) differentiation and pre-CFU-S proliferation in mice.
- Authors: Tanaka T, Suda T, Suda J, Inoue T, Hirabayashi Y, Hirai H, Takaku F, Miura Y
- Issue date: 1991 Jun 15
- Interaction of stem cell factor and its receptor c-kit mediates lodgment and acute expansion of hematopoietic cells in the murine spleen.
- Authors: Broudy VC, Lin NL, Priestley GV, Nocka K, Wolf NS
- Issue date: 1996 Jul 1
- In vivo studies on the regeneration kinetics of haemopoietic spleen colony-forming cells from long-term bone marrow cultures.
- Authors: Eliason JF, Edelstein M
- Issue date: 1983 Jul